About the Internship Program
The U.S. Commercial Service has an active internship program throughout the year, and we welcome applications from suitable candidates to work alongside our staff at the U.S. Embassy in London.
The U.S. Commercial Service UK (CSUK) at the U.S. Embassy in London promotes exports of U.S. goods and/or services into the UK market and inward investment into the U.S. We provide a range of services and programs to help American companies export goods and services to the United Kingdom.
The U.S. Commercial Service is the trade promotion arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration. Our office analyzes information on the UK market, facilitates contacts with UK businesses, promotes U.S. products in the UK and European marketplace, and advocates U.S. business interests. We assist trade missions to the UK and provide logistical support to U.S. companies holding product launches and exhibitions.
The intern’s work assignments will provide exposure to our full range of activities and services. Every attempt is made to give hands-on experience where appropriate. It must be stressed, however, that the immediate requirements of the mission program must take precedence over other considerations.
Intern assignments may include:
- Collecting and analyzing information for use in market research reports
- Responding to enquiries from U.S. companies
- Assisting our staff in the preparation of trade events and trade missions
- Assisting with our matchmaking services that help U.S. companies find partners and distributors in the UK
- Assisting with promoting and implementing the SelectUSA program, U.S. federal initiative to promote, facilitate, and encourage business investment in the United States.
While we prefer interns with International Business, Business Administration or Marketing majors, we will consider all appropriate applicants.
Please note that interns do not receive any compensation, and no housing or other financial assistance is available.
In order to qualify for an internship, potential candidates should be:
- Juniors, Seniors, or Postgraduate students during the semester of their internship
- Available for a minimum of three months (maximum six months)
- Able to work full-time (five full days per week)
- Enrolled in an accredited American or British academic program and returning to studies immediately after the internship
- In possession of a U.S. passport or a British passport (host country national)
- If the candidate is studying in the UK (whether a U.S. or British national), we require a written confirmation from their UK university that the internship is part of their coursework
All acceptances are subject to a security clearance prior to beginning work at the Embassy, which generally takes 3 months to complete. Please ensure to allow a sufficient amount of time to process both your application and security clearance.
How To Apply
- Applications for Summer 2018 are closed
- Deadline for submitting applications for Fall 2018:
May 14, 2018 (EXTENDED TO MAY 25)
If you are interested in an internship with the U.S. Commercial Service’s London office, please send at the address below:
- your resume
- a cover letter
- a 3-page writing sample (from an essay, published article, report, etc.)
- two letters of recommendation
If you require any further information or would like to submit an application, please contact:
Internship Program Manager
U.S. Commercial Service
33 Nine Elms Lane
London SW11 7US
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7891 3430
Candidates may submit their resume, cover letter, and writing sample together and then ask that their references be sent to the Internship Coordinator separately.However, please note that only complete applications will be reviewed.
This information must be received by our office well in advance of your intended start date. Once received, applications will be reviewed by our office and successful candidates will be invited to interview. If offered an internship, you will be asked to complete a number of security forms and a fingerprint card, and you will need to provide a photocopy of your passport. As stated above, there is a 90-day lead time for security processing which is in addition to our office’s review of your application, so it is essential that you submit your application early.