The Global Development Network (GDN) wishes to recruit an intern to support the work of the Program department. The internship is full-time for a duration of six months, and based at GDN’s headquarters in New Delhi, India.
GDN is a Public International Organization that promotes social science research in developing and transition countries. It empowers local researchers by giving them access to financial resources, to information, to training and mentoring services and to a global network of development researchers. GDN therefore contributes to the generation of policy-relevant knowledge on major development issues, and to the interaction between local researchers, their global peers, policymakers and other development stakeholders.
GDN is a network of networks across the various continents. It connects researchers globally. It also partners with universities, research institutions, international and local NGOs and donor institutions willing to promote research and its use. GDN supports and manages research programs aimed at improving the stock and quality of policy-relevant social science research in developing and transition countries.
The main focus of the internship is to support the program team in areas related to the analysis of research systems, and on the linkages between science and development. Activities to be performed will notably include project management, research assistance, communications and event management. It therefore requires a well-rounded personality, capable of multitasking and working under tight deadlines.
The intern will contribute to scaling up GDN’s Doing Research program by providing the program team with written inputs of various nature (research, reporting, communication) and supporting the implementation of the scale-up strategy. In addition, a significant part of the internship will consist in planning and supporting the organization of an event on science and development.
Tasks to be performed
- Support project management (preparing briefs and short reports, support partnership building)
- Research support (literature reviews, provide brief research assistance)
- Communications (provide occasional communications support)
- Event management support (planning and outreach)
- Having finished or currently finishing a Master’s Degree in development studies, economics, political sciences, sociology or equivalent.
- Excellent command of oral and written English.
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Good knowledge of the current agenda in the development sector.
- Prior experience in event management is an asset.
- Prior experience in the international development sector is an asset.
- The ideal candidate is a quick learner with strong analytical skills and a developed interest for development studies and research in general.
- A high degree of energy, creativity and ability to multitask is required, as well as good capacities for time management and meeting deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a closely integrated team is highly important.
GDN pays an internship stipend along with inclusion in local group medi-claim and personal accidental insurance policies of GDN. This is a full-time position for six months expected to commence immediately upon hiring.
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the mention “Program Intern” in the subject line and the following documents attached: a cover letter, updated CV, a writing sample (5 pages maximum) and contacts of three references. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
The deadline for submitting applications is September 15, 2017. Only those short-listed for interviews will be notified by GDN.
For more information about the position and the application process, click here.