Emerging Public Leaders (EPL) is a social impact startup that aims to create an effective and resilient civil service in Africa through a region-wide cadre of fellows who can inspire a new generation of civil service leadership. The vision for EPL is to have a network of 500+ fellows across Africa by 2021. EPL is building on the proven model of its flagship program, the President’s Young Professionals Program of Liberia (PYPP), to address the particular needs and priorities of each EPL country, while maintaining the core mission of training and cultivating future leaders in order to equip them with the necessary skills and mindset to make significant and meaningful contributions to the civil service.
The Summer Intern role is a unique opportunity to work closely with EPL. The Summer Intern will become familiar with EPL’s flagship program, the President’s Young Professionals Program of Liberia (www.pyppliberia.org), which is a 2-year leadership program that recruits and prepares high-performing Liberian college graduates for a future in public service.
The Summer Intern will help provide strategic, operational, and research support in exploring the expansion of the PYPP model to other African countries. There may be additional opportunities to work on other EPL projects.
– Problem-solve around strategic issues and provide input to strategy development
– Support outreach, network-building, and business development efforts
- Research + Writing
– Track risks, issues, stakeholders, and potential funders in EPL expansion countries
– Support the development and delivery of structured communications, especially reports and presentations
- Support for the EPL Team
– Participate in weekly portfolio reviews with the EPL leadership team
– Support broader knowledge management and dissemination
Desired Qualifications & Qualities
- Full-time undergraduate with expected graduation in 2018 or 2019, or undergraduate degree required.
- International Relations, Political Science, Global Development, African Studies or related disciplines preferred
- Demonstrated interest in global development, youth empowerment and/or capacity building
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Curious and organized
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a small team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- A relentless drive to get things done
- Fluency in French will be an advantage
Mid-May to mid-August, with some flexibility
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in one
PDF document to email@example.com , with “Job Applicant: Summer Intern” as the subject line.
The application deadline is April 21, 2017.
For the full position description, please click here.