The Pickering Graduate Fellowship is a U.S. Department of State program, administered by Howard University, that seeks to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers as Foreign Service Officers in the U.S. Department of State. Candidates must be graduating seniors or college graduates. The Program welcomes the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the State Department, women, and those with financial need. Based on the fundamental principle that diversity is a strength in our diplomatic efforts, the program values varied backgrounds, including ethnic, racial, social, and geographic diversity. Applicants with any undergraduate major are welcome to apply. Selected fellows will receive support for graduate school and will enter exciting and rewarding careers representing the United States overseas.
- Employment in the State Department Foreign Service for those who successfully complete the program and meet Foreign Service entry requirements, in accordance with applicable law and State Department policy, with each Fellow committing to a minimum of five years of service.
- An orientation to the Program and the Foreign Service at Howard University in Washington, D.C. in mid-June 2020.
- Two summer internships, one in Washington, D.C. in the summer 2021 and one overseas at a U.S. embassy in summer 2022.
- Up to $37,500 annually toward tuition, fees, and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy, and International Relations at a U.S.-based institution.
- Mentoring from a Foreign Service Officer throughout the duration of the fellowship.
- U.S. citizenship
- Seeking admission to graduate school in fall 2020 for a two-year graduate program in an area of relevance to the Foreign Service at a U.S.-based institution
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the time of application
The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Program is now accepting applications for the 2020 Pickering Graduate Fellowship Program at pickeringfellowship.org!