The First Year Fall Abroad program offers the opportunity for first-year students and transfers to spend their summer on campus for the iGniTe program to familiarize them with GT, then spend their fall abroad allowing them to expand their global perspectives. FYFA at GTL is looking for students to serve as program assistants and RAs to help ease the transition for these incoming students. Those hired will receive compensation in the form of a $10 per hour rate as well as a partial subsidy towards housing and all required travel at the beginning of the semester.
The deadline to apply for this opportunity is April 10, 2021.
To familiarize yourself further with the FYFA program before applying, click here.
- Time commitment averages 10 hours per week
- All PA/RAs must participate in a non-residence capacity on the GT Atlanta campus during the five-week iGniTe summer session
- June 21 through August 5
- Training and orientation with GTL and FYFA staff
- Welcoming the incoming FYFA cohort
- Coordinating with the faculty director, assistant director, and program coordinator as well as GTL Atlanta staff to organize extracurricular and cultural activities
- Serving as a TA for the GT 1000 course
- Chaperone incoming/outgoing GTL shuttles and conduct dorm orientations at the beginning of the semester.
- Provide student support in the residence hall
- Provide dorm and school information and answer questions on the FYFA Facebook page when on duty. Monitor and report on any student mental/emotional health concerns and enforce dorm policies, and deal with and report disciplinary problems, etc.
- Act as liaison between students, FYFA faculty director, and GTL Area Manager Residence Life and/or between students and Residence Director as well as report to the Dean of Students Representative if necessary.
- Monitor residence halls: make duty rounds throughout the buildings 2 times/night at 8 pm and at 12 pm, address any concerns, and make online duty round reports within 30 minutes after the completion of each round.
- PA/RAs must remain in their dorm on duty nights.
- Note that two PA/RAs are on duty Monday – Thursday and may alternate duty nights.
- There is no weekend duty (Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) with the exception of planned activities during the weekends of the first half of the semester.
- Support weekend excursions: during the first half of the semester, at least one excursion per weekend will be planned for the FYFA cohort for which the PA/Ras will be expected to participate in a support role to the faculty director and assistant director.
- The PA/RAs will also travel in small groups with the faculty and FYFA cohort during Fall Break with all travel expenses paid and two days of free-time/off-duty guaranteed.
- Keep the duty phone on their person during the normal workweek and respond promptly when called (unless in class).
- Conduct health/safety room inspections as well as pre-checkout inspections.
- Participate in bi-weekly staff meetings.
- Provide other support to the FYFA faculty director and assistant director, including TA duties for the one-credit, one-hour orientation course, GTL 2000
- Must take a full course load
- Committed to the success and well-being of the Georgia Tech Lorraine students, and the FYFA program
- One year of previous RA experience
- Leadership skills
- The ability to meditate, and exercise discretion when handling student issues
- Comfortable enforcing GT policies when necessary
- Some french experience is a plus but is not required
Applications should come in the form of a brief statement of interest and motivation for serving as FYFA PA/RA and a copy of your resume, emailed to email@example.com by April 10.
To view the original job description, click here.