The Ivan Allen College Communications office is seeking a student assistant for the Summer 2021 semester. This position is open to both undergraduate and graduate students that can be employed under the correct employment category. The assistant will be asked to work 20 hours per week if taking classes, and 40 hours if not. The salary for this position will be within the range of $10-15 per hour.
The deadline to apply for this opportunity is May 3, 2021. If no one is selected by this deadline, the application will remain open until the position is filled.
To apply for this opportunity, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected applicants may be asked to submit a writing sample and/or complete a writing assessment.
A student communications assistant in the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts (IAC) Communications office will be expected to:
- Work will primarily be remote, in adherence to Georgia Tech safety guidelines and protocols, with limited onsite work in the IAC communications office using Dean’s Office equipment and systems.
- Carry out daily tasks and projects as assigned by the director of communications, managing project workflow to meet specifications and deadlines.
- Work in collaboration with staff to ensure cohesive, coordinated communications, and to meet expectations and deadlines. Participate in project and tactic planning and development of goals as applicable.
- Ensure that all communications materials conform to GT/IAC guidelines, systems, filing and other organizational specifications. Perform documentation as needed or requested.
- Work in a professional manner appropriate to the dean’s office.
Location: Remote and Ivan Allen College Dean’s Office
Supervisor: Denise Ward, Ivan Allen College Director of Communications
Time Commitment: 20 hours per week (if enrolled in summer courses) or 40 hours per week (if not enrolled in summer courses). The position requires a commitment to a regular schedule of hours within the business day (9a-6p), as approved by the Director of Communications.
Pay: $10-$15 per hour
- Provide administrative support to programs and internal teams.
- Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. news articles, newsletter briefs, press releases, publications, social media posts).
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies.
- Update databases and media lists.
- Post stories, events, photos, and other content and update College website content through Drupal content management system.
- Logistical support for events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong writer with competent knowledge of grammar, sentence structure, and narrative voices.
- Familiarity with journalism and communications tasks.
- Strong familiarity with social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Web and tech-savvy; familiarity with website content management system
- Knowledge of design basics such as web page layout and graphic design.
- Proficient in MS Office
- Familiarity with design software (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus
- Familiarity with website standards, AMAC accessibility guidelines, familiarity with basics of SEO.
- Video production experience is a plus. Edit on Adobe Premiere Pro Creative Cloud.
- Outstanding organizational ability.
- Task-oriented. Flexibility and ability to pivot when tasks are re-prioritized.