Duration: 6 months, starting August 2018
Deadline for applications: 20 June 2018
Duty Station: Turin, Italy
Organizational unit: UNSSC Directorate
Remuneration: 450€ per month
UNSSC provides a work environment that reflects the core values of the United Nations: integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity.
The United Nations System Staff College (UNSSC) with its headquarters in Turin, Italy, is the United Nations institution for system-wide knowledge management, learning and training for the staff of the United Nations system. The College is expected to play a pivotal role in contributing to UN reform, the development of a common culture based on effectiveness, expertise and continuous learning through the development, co-ordination and provision of cross-cutting learning programmes which impact on all agencies and staff.
1. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT:
The UNSSC Directorate provides the overall vision, strategic direction, and orientation of the Staff College. With a view to support the growing visibility and expansion of the UNSSC, the Directorate is responsible for delivering strategic programmatic initiatives, advocacy events, and special projects. The coordination of corporate communication activities and institutional reporting also rests with the Directorate.
2. DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The selected intern will apply her/his skills in the field of communications to support the activities of the UNSSC Directorate. S/he will gain understanding of the UN’s work in general, and in the area of communications, in particular. The incumbent will report to the Policy and Corporate Coordination Officer, under the daily guidance of the UNSSC Communications focal point.
Specifically, the intern will be responsible for the following activities:
• Updating social media platforms regularly with platform-specific content;
• Drafting communication materials including mailers, newsletters and web content;
• Supporting the execution of communication campaigns, events and other outreach activities;
• Assisting in drafting press releases, speeches and articles.
• Assisting with research, provide substantive and administrative assistance as required and perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
3. REQUIRED SKILLS:
Applicants can be considered if they meet one of the following:
• Are enrolled in a Master’s or in a Ph.D. programme; or
• Are enrolled in the final year of a Bachelor’s programme; or
• Are within one year after graduation from a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. programme. in the field of communications, public relations, languages, journalism or equivalent.
Previous work experience is not required, however experience in the field of communications and public relations and experience working with professional social media platforms are considered an asset. Knowledge of the UN is an advantage.
Excellent command of written and spoken English required. Knowledge of Italian is preferable.
Excellent computer skills in the Microsoft Office suite.
Other skills and competencies:
• Ability to learn and act in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• High motivation to learn and grow professionally.
• Ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
4. APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Eligible candidates interested in doing an internship at the United Nations System Staff College must submit in English:
• An up-to-date curriculum vitae (resume);
• A motivation letter, specifying why you would like to be considered for this internship;
• For applicants who are currently enrolled in a degree programme, an endorsement from their University or Sponsoring Institution is required;
• Applications should be submitted by e-mail to: email@example.com
• Please indicate in the subject “Application for Internship vacancy announcement
Interns are responsible for making travel and accommodation arrangements and for obtaining the necessary visa for entering Italy or the country of any other duty station to which they have been assigned. UNSSC will facilitate the process of obtaining entry visas for countries of assignment.
The intern is responsible for ensuring that he/she has all the prescribed vaccinations for travel to the assigned duty station. Interns are also responsible to obtain medical insurance coverage in accordance with the requirements for entering Italy or the country of any other duty station to which they have been assigned. The cost of travel, visa, accommodation, vaccines, health insurance and living expenses are the responsibility of interns.
Before the beginning of the assignment, the selected intern shall also provide UNSSC with a self-certification of good health.
5. SELECTION AND COMMENCEMENT:
Candidates for the Internship Programme are selected on a competitive basis. Only those candidates who meet the requirements of the position will be short-listed and interviewed. The candidates will be informed of the result of the selection process as soon as it is finalized.
6. COMPLETION OF THE PROGRAMME:
At the end of the internship period, a written evaluation of the intern’s performance will be prepared and a meeting will be organized with the intern to provide feedback. Upon completion of the Internship programme the candidate will be provided with a certificate of attendance.
7. FINANCIAL ASPECTS:
Interns who are not financially supported by other institutions shall receive a stipend from UNSSC intended to assist in covering basic subsistence costs. The monthly amount of the stipend is fixed at 450€. No other payment of any kind shall be made to an intern by UNSSC in connection with an internship agreement.
8. FURTHER CAREER OPPORTUNITIES:
The interns shall not be considered in any respect as being a staff member of UNSSC and shall not accrue benefits. In this regard, assignments under the Internship Programme do not carry expectation of conversion to any other type of contract or appointment in any activity of the UNSSC.
Interns may not apply for or be appointed to any position in the Professional or above categories during the period of their internship and for the six months immediately following the expiration date thereof.
Apply here by June 20: