The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is seeking a volunteer graduate intern for Fall 2018 to work 15–20 hours per week in support of the IISS Cyber, Space and Future Conflict Programme in Washington, DC.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Be currently enrolled in a graduate programme studying foreign relations, international law, military affairs, cyber security, computer science, or a related field. Preference will be given to students focusing on issues in the Cyber, Space and Future Conflict portfolio, including emerging technology and critical infrastructure protection.
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) or the equivalent.
- Be proactive and a self-starter able to work in a small team environment.
- Be eligible to work in the United States. IISS–Americas regrets that it cannot assist with procuring visas or entry permits. Please include your work eligibility in your application.
The Director for Cyber, Space and Future Conflict seeks analytic and administrative support to assist him in his roles as (1) Chair of the Research Advisory Group for the Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace, (2) a co-organiser of the Roundtable on Military Cyber Stability between China, Russia, and the US, and/or (3) sponsor of the quarterly Strategic Technologies Roundtable hosted by IISS-Americas. Graduate interns also have the opportunity to contribute to the IISS weekly Cyber Report and other publications. Specific duties will be tailored to meet the intern’s academic background, professional interests, and weekly time commitment.
- Cover letter (specify dates, times available, and specific topics of interest)
- Brief writing sample (no longer than five pages, may be a section of a longer piece) that demonstrates the applicant’s best analytical work
The resume, cover letter, and writing sample should be sent as three separate PDF files via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: ‘Your Name – Semester, Year FCCS Internship Application’. Please include your full name in the title for each separate document.
This internship is unpaid. Applications will not be considered complete until all materials are received. The deadline is rolling until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, we regret that we are unable to respond to every single one.
The International Institute for Strategic Studies – Americas
2121 K Street NW, Suite 801
Washington, DC 20037
Tel.: +1 (202) 659-1490
Fax: +1 (202) 659-1499