Freedom House supports the spread of freedom and democracy throughout the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs directly supporting frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we are supporting the right of every individual to be free.
The Project Officer will support ongoing activities and projects of the Emergency Assistance Program related to Asia, working to provide emergency assistance to individuals under threat around the world. The Program Officer reports to the Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in religious studies, political science, international relations, human rights, law, or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 4 – 6 years of experience in program management, including reporting ability and knowledge of funder account requirements
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Academic, field and/or related knowledge of Southeast and other parts of Asia, particularly Burma, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia and China
- Ability to communicate fluently in one primary Asian language preferred
- Experience working on issues pertaining to at least one or two world regions
- Strong appreciation of and demonstrated experience in human rights work
- Familiarity with Fluxx or other secure data base systems and secure communications
- Demonstrated experience in creating, managing and reporting on budgets and program activities
- Experience working with a small team in a fast-paced environment
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor key developments regarding human rights violations
- Manage cases while ensuring complete, accurate, and timely processing
- Conduct outreach to human rights defenders and CSOs globally
- Cover Washington DC-based events pertaining to relevant human rights concerns
- Develop effective professional relationships with partner organizations
- Negotiate and write contracts, MOUs, letters of agreement, and other contractual documents, and ensure that the objectives and terms of agreements are met
- Support proposal writing, identify new donors and partners, and draft narrative reports to funders
- Carry out weekly, monthly and quarterly program reporting on a regional and global level
- Other related duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
We offer great benefits including:
- 100% employer-paid dental insurance
- 100% employer-paid health insurance; or generously subsidized depending on plan and coverage
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more……
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position).
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.