Access Now is a growing international human rights organisation dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
Access Now’s Policy team works globally and supports our mission by developing and promoting rights-respecting practices and policies. The Policy team seek to advance laws and global norms to affect long-term systemic change in the area of digital rights and online security, developing insightful, rights-based, and well-researched policy guidance to governments, corporations, and civil society. The need to hold both the public and private sectors accountable leads the Policy team to use diverse fora, including domestic and regional courts, intergovernmental bodies, and expert offices to promote norms and best practices.
Description of the position
We are looking for a Policy Intern in the Brussels office who will work primarily on the issues of privacy, data protection and cybersecurity.
Alongside our Brussels team you will work directly under the supervision of our Senior Policy Analyst. You will support us in analyzing legislation and contributing to our work at the intersection of technology and human rights, in particular in the area of privacy, data protection and, cybersecurity. You will be immersed in a structured environment to foster growth and maximise learning potential, balancing mentorship and guidance with real-world experience of EU policy work.
The Policy intern will be a full member of the Policy Team and will be expected to:
- participate in team meetings;
- conduct research and draft policy briefs and position papers;
- edit reports and compile data;
- prepare advocacy materials for internal and external use; and
- assist in the development and execution of Access Now’s initiatives in Brussels and the furthering of Access Now’s mission.
The Policy intern can expect to:
- gain and extend specialised knowledge in privacy, data protection, cybersecurity and human rights law and policy;
- work at the intersection of digital rights and technology;
- receive mentorship and training from senior member of the Brussels team;
- draft and publish briefs and materials for both internal and public use;
- work with organisational partners across sectors;
- develop insight into how international NGOs work; and
- learn and gain knowledge about advocacy towards EU institutions.
A successful applicant will be a recent graduate, postgraduate or, enrolled in a postgraduate degree in law, political science, international relations, or similar field. The applicant should have an interest in technology, digital and human rights.
Applicants should demonstrate research and writing skills, be organised and pay attention to details. Proficiency in English is required and knowledge of an another language is a plus.
This position is based in our Brussels office. Remote applicants will not be considered due to the structure of the internship and the emphasis on mentorship and learning.
- Full time, from Monday to Friday.
- Three to six months, starting in October 2018
- Internship carries a 800€/month stipend, in consideration of Belgian regulations.
To apply, send a copy of your CV or resume, a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please place “Brussels Policy Intern – [Your Name]” as the subject line.
Deadline: ASAP with applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.