The Haiti Development Institute, an initiative of the Boston Foundation, works to increase the amount of philanthropic support to Haiti and its impact, by connecting donors directly with grassroots organizations in Haiti while building the capacity of those organizations and their leaders. By connecting the nonprofit, philanthropic, and social enterprise sectors, we aim to promote development efforts that can finally achieve transformative, systemic impact in Haiti.
One of the Haiti Development Institute’s key roles is to serve as a convener of leaders in philanthropy and development interested in sharing and collaborating on solutions to Haiti’s most pressing and systemic challenges. Haiti Development Institute (HDI) has organized three Haiti Funders Conferences in the past six years, and is organizing the 4th Haiti Funders Conference to be held in late winter/early spring in Miami, FL. The 4th Haiti Funders Conference aims to support philanthropic actors currently investing in Haiti and to encourage new funders to enter the field by providing a space to step back and think strategically about opportunities for philanthropy in Haiti.
HDI is looking for an intern to join its Boston office to assist in the planning and coordination of the 4th Haiti Funders Conference. The position is ideal for a graduate student interested in international development and philanthropy who wishes to gain hands on experience with conference planning and project management. This is a seven-month, paid, full time position beginning in September. We will consider the right candidate with part time availability.
- Assist with coordination of the work of the conference design committee
- Conduct research to contribute to developing agenda of conference
- Liaise with conference venues and assist with arranging event logistics, including catering, audio-visual, rentals, transportation, hotel room blocks, etc.
- Update/maintain conference website
- Communicate with resource people and participants, individually and through Constant Contact
- Assist with developing conference materials including program agenda, logistics information, participant list with bios, etc.
- Provide onsite support during conference
- Provide administrative and programmatic support across HDI’s operations, including potentially drafting blog posts and newsletter content, assisting with website development, researching grant opportunities, assisting with proposal preparation, drafting social media posts, creating fundraising plans, developing curriculum for capacity building programs, organizing donor trips to Haiti, and assisting with Board meetings.
The intern will be tasked with significant responsibilities and become an integral part of the HDI team.
- Highly organized with excellent project management skills
- Hard-working, energetic, good communicator
- Interest in or familiarity with international development, philanthropy, and nonprofit management
- Strong research and writing skills
- Skilled at working with Windows Office programs; familiarity with Constant Contact, publishing programs, website editing programs a plus
- Social media skills a plus (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
Interested candidates should submit a short statement of interest along with a resume to Liz Fischelis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.