“For over 40 years, Georgia colleges and universities have been providing the General Assembly with outstanding interns each session. During this internship, approximately 35 interns will receive firsthand experience of the legislative process. With the help of Georgia State University, each school will submit applications for their most promising students for this internship program. Then, these applicants will be subject to a personal interview with House and Senate staff to determine if the applicant will be considered for the program. If selected, applicants will then be interviewed once again to determine placement.
Once students are selected for the internship, they are assigned to offices in the Georgia House of Representatives or the Georgia Senate. Each intern will serve a unique purpose in the process and have a multitude of different tasks to perform each day that may include legislative tracking, constituent services, media assistance, attendance at committee meetings, writing bill summaries and so much more. During their time at the State Capitol, interns will gain knowledge of the how state government works, how the legislative process works, along with making lifelong career contacts and friendships.
- Student must be a junior or senior in a college or university in the State of Georgia at the time of the internship
- Applicants must NOT have completed graduation prior to the beginning of the legislative session
- Program is open to ALL majors
- Student must receive school credit from your college or university
- This is a FULL TIME paid internship – each intern will earn a stipend pay of $300.00 per week
- Work hours are generally 8:00am – 5:00pm, however office hours can fluctuate on a daily basis.
- Students are advised NOT to take any classes while serving as an intern
- If necessary, classes online or after work hours are acceptable. Please notify your College Program Coordinator and Dr. Daniel Franklin if you plan to take classes.”
Each year, the deadline for the following legislative session is around October 15th. Make sure to mark your calendars and prepare for it ahead of time! For more information, visit http://www.legis.ga.gov/intern/en-US/default.aspx or start on your application at http://www.gov.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/Applications/2016glipapplication.pdf.