ABOUT THE POSITION
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 110 partners in 50 countries.
Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team partners with financial service providers around the globe to better meet the needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. We provide experienced operational and management support to help build sustainable and scalable companies focused on serving the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. We strengthen our partners and maximize their impact by leveraging innovations in technology and financial services to lower costs and increase quality at scale. In addition to our advisory work with FSPs, we contribute to industry development through case study work and research, knowledge sharing, as well as training and capacity building activities.
We are currently recruiting a Global Insights Intern who will be based in Washington, DC to support GLAS’s industry engagement function. This unique role requires a diverse skill set, spanning management consulting, marketing, research, superior writing skills, and knowledge of cutting-edge innovation and technology in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will lead story framing, information gathering/synthesis, analysis, and production of thought leadership pieces (i.e., blogs, case studies, and webinars) on topics such as digital transformation and human centered design, with the aim of promoting GLAS’s work with the industry. S/he will also contribute to key project work around the world.
The length of this internship position is minimum 10 weeks, with the option for part-time work in the spring or fall. The target start date is June 1, 2020.
- Develop thought pieces, blogs, case studies, webinars, public relations and other modes of information dissemination to maximize demonstration effects, showcase lessons learned and build our brand as a thought leader in the space
- Interview sector experts, conduct literature reviews, and analyze data to support research on key topics, such as digital transformation and human centered design.
- Promote knowledge internally sharing by documenting and disseminating project results and tools through a variety of knowledge exchange mediums such as brown bags, team meetings/debriefs, webinars, etc.
- Collaborate with global advisory team and provide project support as requested
- Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including international development, international relations, or communications degrees)
- Generally 3+ years of professional experience
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and passion for market-based solutions to poverty
- Business background with technology knowledge and innovative project experience
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills; comfortable working independently and confident to query senior managers
- Willingness to embody Accion’s values of Excellence, Respect and Passion for Social Change
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly in the areas of digital transformation, human-centered design and/or behavioral economics
- Financial inclusion experience and existing network in the industry highly valued
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets
- Language skills beyond English, Spanish preferred
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply, click here.