ABOUT THE POSITION
At Verizon Media, we connect people to their passions. With brands like Yahoo, TechCrunch and HuffPost, we help people stay informed and entertained, communicate and transact while creating new ways for advertisers and partners to connect. From XR experiences to advertising and content technology, Verizon Media is an incubator of innovation and is revolutionizing the next generation of content creation in a 5G world.
The Business and Human Rights Program (BHRP) works to integrate human rights decision-making into business operations, including the design of policies and processes and also through dialogue, awareness raising and education. We engage with other companies, civil society, academics, investors, multi-stakeholder initiatives and employees across the globe, and provide leadership on human rights issues.
The Business & Human Rights Internship allows the intern to contribute to operational work on human rights issues within a technology and media company while also helping to influence the global dialogue on these issues. The intern will be responsible for helping to develop and drive the BHRP’s strategy internally and externally to protect and promote human rights, including rights to free expression and privacy. The intern will work directly with the head of the Business & Human Rights Program and with other members of the BHRP team. The intern will also work with a cross-functional team of senior-level employees (including from the legal, public policy, security, communications, privacy, deals and product teams) to build and support key components of the Program.
- Support and take part in the BHRP’s engagement with external stakeholders, including multi-stakeholder dialogues and working groups;
- Assist with planning for Verizon Media’s third-party assessment and other public reporting on Verizon Media’s commitments to human rights, including free expression and privacy;
- Source, develop and edit content about the intersection of human rights and technology for the BHRP website and social media platforms;
- Assist with the preparation and planning of internal and external events to highlight and explore issues at the intersection of technology and human rights;
- Help to review company policies, processes and operations to identify and mitigate human rights risks and to find opportunities to highlight human rights impacts that are positive;
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of human rights trainings for employees;
- Conduct research and write background reports for regional Human Rights Impact Assessments (HRIAs);
- Conduct research on topics related to technology and human rights to inform BHRP initiatives;
- Perform administrative tasks, as determined by BHRP priorities.
- Graduate degree in progress (JD, or equivalent, M.A.);
- Demonstrated commitment or experience in a relevant field (i.e., law, policy, human rights), preferably in the technology sector and/or a passion and curiosity for technology and a sound understanding of the online space;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, take initiative and work independently;
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize;
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to describe and distill complex policy, tech and human rights issues to audiences with different levels of understanding;
- A strong work ethic, flexibility and a good sense of humor;
- Experience working in cross-functional, multi-national settings or across different cultures and in building effective working relationships;
- Superior research, writing and presentation skills (writing samples may be required);
- Impeccable integrity, passion for human rights, sound judgment, creativity and the demonstrated ability to think critically and challenge received wisdom.
- International work or study experience, as well as fluency in a foreign language a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and how to apply, click here.