Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Migration Policy Research Division is responsible for supporting IOM’s worldwide efforts in developing and conducting policy-oriented migration research, as well as implementing its own research projects in order to inform program delivery and policy development. It promotes deeper and more nuanced understandings of international migration within and outside IOM, and is responsible for the preparation of IOM’s flagship publication, the World Migration Report. It also convenes the Migration Research Leaders Syndicate in support of the 2018 Global Compact for Migration.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The intern will work under the overall guidance and general supervision of the head of the Research Division and work closely with colleagues in the Division. The intern will have the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Assist with desk-based research tasks and communications/dissemination activities to
support the editors and authors in the preparation of research papers and reports for publication
on a range of migration topics, including for the World Migration Report.
2. Assist with the preparation of regular contributions for the research section of IOM’s website
and IOM’s intranet.
3. Assist in the development of research project documentation, such as concept notes, project
proposals, donor agreements and project reporting.
4. Assist with the preparation and conduct of the migration expert speaker series in HQ.
5. Respond to internal and external research queries.
6. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to
migration or other relevant social sciences (e.g. humanitarian affairs, development studies,
political science, international relations or a related field), or the equivalent combination of work
experience in a related area.
The intern will have the following demonstrable skills:
• Strong understanding of migration issues;
• Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills, including a record of publishing on aspects of migration (an advantage);
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
• Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
Learn more and apply here: https://recruit.iom.int/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_posting_apply?PARAM=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9MDA1MDU2ODUxQzdDMUVEODk5OEZDQzA1RTIxNjQwQkUmY2FuZF90eXBlPUVYVA%3d%3d&sap-wd-configid=ZHRRCF_A_POSTING_APPLY&sap-client=100&sap-language=EN#