Locations: Dakar, Senegal; Delhi, India; Johannesburg, South Africa; Lusaka, Zambia; Manila, Philippines; Nairobi, Kenya
The application deadline for this position is 11:59 PM (eastern time), January 25, 2018.
We seek leaders who are passionate about making a difference, possess exceptional analytical skills, and thrive in an entrepreneurial, developing country setting. The ideal graduate intern would be interested in joining IDinsight in a full-time role in the future and would take advantage of the graduate internship to identify a potential long-term role in the organization. Successful graduate interns are highly likely to be considered for roles on IDinsight’s leadership team upon graduation.
To maximize learning for the graduate intern and contribution to IDinsight, the graduate internship will be tailored to the specific interests and skills of the intern rather than committed to certain projects at this time. The graduate internship will likely involve a semi-autonomous project within a larger client engagement, which the intern will be responsible for leading with minimal to moderate support from supervisors. Potential projects will be discussed during the in- terview process.
IDinsight is an international development consulting organization that helps policymakers and managers make socially impactful decisions using rigorous evidence. We carefully tailor a wide range of analytical and quantita- tive tools to enable our clients to design better policies, rigorously test those ideas, and take informed action at scale to improve lives. Our services include experimental evaluation methodologies – including, but not limited to, randomized controlled trials – tailored to the priorities of international development decision-makers; moni- toring and performance management systems to facilitate continuous data-driven improvement; policy design consulting and scale-up support. Our advisory teams are closely integrated into client organizations, and we strive to provide comprehensive support for clients who want to maximize their social impact through evi- dence-based policymaking. IDinsight’s vision is to improve millions of lives by transforming how the social sector innovates, learns and improves.
IDinsight works across Asia and Africa and is rapidly expanding. Our clients include state governments in In- dia, national Ministries across Africa, the World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, international NGOs and innovative social businesses. We work across a range of sectors, including governance, health, edu- cation, energy, agriculture, and sanitation.
The graduate intern will be based in one of IDinsight’s offices in Africa or Asia for a period of 8-10 weeks. The exact project assigned to the graduate intern will be the result of conversations between the intern and his/her IDinsight supervisor to ensure that it is carefully designed to meet the interests and skills of the intern and the need of the organization. Some examples of the types of projects may include (but are certainly not limited to) the following:
- Develop IDinsight’s evaluation plan for an agricultural impact evaluation.
- Create data collection tools for a water, sanitation, and health survey.
- Analyze endline data for a quasi-experimental education study.
- Present findings from an impact evaluation to IDinsight government clients.
The graduate intern will receive significant support and mentorship from IDinsight leadership.
- Currently pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degree in public policy, international development, or a related field and able to take on a full-time internship role
- Deeply passionate about international development and social impact, preferably with a strong interest in impact measurement
- Professional and personal goals well-aligned with IDinsight’s vision, mission and values
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical skills, with experience in statistical software preferred
- Express interest in joining IDinsight full-time after graduation strongly preferred
- Experience running field experiments or impact evaluations a strong plus
- Work experience in a developing country setting strongly preferred
- Intellectual curiosity and a sense of humor
We encourage students to access university funding. IDinsight may also contribute to living and other expenses if relevant.
An 8-10 week full-time on-site commitment during the summer of 2018 is required. Exact start and end dates are flexible.
More information can be found at https://internationalcareers-