Center for Strategic & International Studies (CSIS) is a bipartisan, nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. The Center’s 220 full-time staff and large network of affiliated scholars conduct research and analysis and develop policy initiatives that look to the future and anticipate change.
The CSIS Executive Education Program and the Abshire-Inamori Leadership Academy (AILA) seek a highly motivated candidate for a four to six-month internship in a dynamic and fast-paced environment beginning in July 2020. Strong preference given for full-time candidates.
The Executive Education and AILA programs provide global leaders with training opportunities in leadership, ethics, and foreign policy. The Executive Education program designs and facilitates specialized training initiatives for executives, visiting government officials, and global leaders. AILA offers foreign policy seminars, crisis simulations, and skill-building workshops for CSIS’s interns, young professionals, and visiting university student groups. The intern will support the successful administration and execution of the programs, and provide assistance across all program components, such as program development and execution, coordination, outreach, and administrative support.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover, and one-page original writing sample.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following
• Provide event management support
• Contribute to program development
• Conduct background research
• Assist with program operations and administration, including event logistics
• Organize outreach efforts, such as writing newsletters
• Write summaries of training sessions and seminars
Knowledge, education, and experience
• Event management and/or project coordination experience
• Minimum of a 3.3 GPA on a U.S. scale or equivalent
• Strong demonstrated interest in foreign policy, international relations, training, education, and/or event management
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Enthusiasm for challenging assignments that demand creativity
Physical requirements and work conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The job frequently requires the ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply
Interested applicants, please submit your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample of no more than one page at https://careers.csis.org. For more information please visit the CSIS Executive Education program website https://www.csis.org/programs/executive-education and Abshire-Inamori Leadership Academy website https://www.csis.org/programs/abshire-inamori-leadership-academy.