The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) envisions to contribute to Africa’s efforts to eradicate poverty and reduce inequalities and exclusion through implementation of UNDP’s Strategic Plan.
As an essential part the Regional Centre for Africa, the information and knowledge team provides a strategic, substantive and coherent approach to dissemination of relevant information and knowledge to UNDP colleagues based at the regional service center in Addis as well as those based in the 46 country offices the regional center supports.
The team collaborates closely with the other units in order to establish information and knowledge mechanisms.
The team at the Regional Centre for Africa is looking for a competent intern who will support the regional knowledge and innovation advisor based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
For additional information see:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the Knowledge and Innovation Advisor, the intern shall perform, inter alia, the following tasks:
Support regional communities of practice (CoP):
- Map existing CoPs;
- Maintain existing CoPs – user database cleanup, updates, etc.;
- Provide substantial inputs to CoPs in relation with substance matter experts;
- Technical support to CoP users.
Country specific information & knowledge sharing:
- Set up prototypes for country specific information and knowledge single entry point;
- Assist in developing and disseminating country specific information and knowledge;
- Technical support to users of country specific single entry point system.
The more specific focus will be decided in consultation with the intern taking into account his/her skills development interests.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to receive / integrate feedback;
- Works collaboratively with team members by sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external partners;
- Positive and results-oriented attitude.
Technical / Functional Competencies:
- Excellent ICT skills;
- Good writing and researching skills;
- Good knowledge of social medias;
- Strong analytical aptitude, communication and presentation skills;
- Good organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines;
- Attention to details and proven ability to work independently and effectively.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); in the fields of Knowledge Management, Information Management, Communications, or any other field in the social sciences;
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Understanding of ICT tools, development studies, Economics, Business, and related fields would be beneficial;
- Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNDP in particular, and have a personal commitment to UNDP’s Statement of Purpose and to the ideals of the UN Charter;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of French would be an asset.