ABOUT THE POSITION
Are you an undergraduate or graduate communications, graphic design, or marketing student looking for work experience in an environment that will allow you to flex your creative muscle and take ownership of your projects? If so, the Georgia Geospatial Information Office may be a great fit for you. We are a relatively new and ambitious state agency looking for a creative, career-ready intern, who is prepared to work under limited supervision and empower our team by amplifying our online presence. We’re looking for a self-starter who is interested in positively influencing the Office’s development through digital storytelling, data visualization, infographics, and cartography.
The Georgia Geospatial Information Office is seeking an undergraduate or graduate student intern to help manage the Office’s communications. The successful candidate will be a strong writer with experience in graphic design and/or data visualization. The work included in this internship will center on communicative functions in support of the Geospatial Information Office. Under general supervision, the intern will assist in the planning, development, coordination, and execution of communications products using multiple media. Work will include, but is not limited to:
- Preparing fact sheets and visually stimulating infographics for marketing, outreach, and education purposes
- Managing website and social media, including content development and website design
- Drafting press releases, news, and blog posts for Office website; working from meeting notes, provided source material, and under limited supervision
- Editing written material for readability, consistency, and adherence to style/usage standards
- Organizing and facilitating meetings and communications between various GIS-related communities of practice in the State, arranging for logistical needs such as set up, handouts, reports, etc.
- Providing administrative assistance to the Geospatial Information Officer
This position is immediately available and will remain open until it is filled. The position is scheduled to run for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year, but can be extended beyond that time if appropriate. The intern will work 15-30 hours per week based on course load and availability. Pay ranges between $12 and $15 based on experience.
- Pursuing a degree (undergraduate or graduate) in communications, marketing, graphic design, or a closely related field, preferably with a focus in public relations or advertising
- Strong command of written language
- Passion for design and/or data visualization
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working with WordPress (or similar)
- Eagerness to learn independently
- Ability to work with minimal guidance as well as with a team
- Eagerness to collaborate with a team while teaching and learning from co-workers
- Ability to synthesize disparate inputs to create a compelling marketing product
- Senior college student or graduate student pursuing a degree in communications, marketing, graphic design, or a closely related field
- Experienced in design and/or data visualization
- Skill in preparing and delivering public presentation and oral and written communication
- Basic understanding of GIS (experience working with GIS not required)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience developing web content
- Strong background in WordPress
- Experience working in communications/marketing and/or government
- Understanding of website and social media analytics and eagerness to use analytics to improve performance
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply, click here.