ABOUT THE POSITION
The National Committee on North Korea (NCNK) is an independent program of Mercy Corps that supports principled engagement between the United States and North Korea as a means to promote peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and to improve the lives of the people of North Korea. The NCNK internship program offers aspiring North Korea-specialists opportunities to broaden understanding of North Korean policy topics, hone research skills, and network with DC-based North Korea policy professionals.
Over the course of this internship, the intern will:
- Gain a detailed understanding of US policy toward North Korea
- Have opportunities to conduct in-depth research on specific policy issues
- Become familiar with new research tools and sources
The Intern will support the team through the following activities:
- Assist with writing or updating NCNK Issue Briefs by collecting and researching data and information on North Korea-related topics
- Attend congressional hearings, meetings, and seminars on North Korea and East Asia, and prepare oral and written presentations of content
- Maintain the NCNK website and update its events calendar on a weekly basis; help re-organize the website’s document database
- Conduct research and provide updates for www.NorthKoreaInTheWorld.org, a joint project of NCNK and the East-West Center
- Conduct other miscellaneous research as requested by staff
- Assist with planning and hosting NCNK events and activities.
Internship candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated interest in Northeast Asia and North Korea
- Either a graduate student or a well-qualified undergraduate; relevant degree programs might include, but are not limited to, political science, history, or international relations
- Excellent communications skills – written and spoken
- Fluent in oral and written English. Korean language skills a plus, but not required
- Able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work with a team
- Detail-oriented, organized, and efficient.
- Experience working with website content management systems is a plus.
Mercy Corps interns represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply, click here.