Do you speak English and another language? Are you looking for ways to use your language skills to make a difference in your community and country?
If yes, then the National Language Service Corps (NLSC) may be for you.
The NLSC is a Federal government organization consisting of on-call, multilingual volunteers who are willing to use their language skills and cultural knowledge to help government agencies in their readiness efforts, and communities in times of need. NLSC Members must be U.S citizens, 18 years of age or older, fluent in English and at least one other language.
Though Members are volunteers to the Corps, if their language skills are needed and they choose to participate, they are compensated by means of a stipend and per diem in some instances.
The NLSC is currently seeking the following languages and skill sets:
Examples of backgrounds and skill sets we are looking for:
- Cleared individuals (confidential, secret, and top secret)
- Military backgrounds
- Interpretation (simultaneous and/or consecutive)
- Cultural role players
- Experience in working with the Interagency Language Roundtable Skill Level Descriptions
- Language Testing and Assessment
- ESL/EFL or foreign language instructor working with university or adult learners
All members receive advantages for being a NLSC member such as:
- Free NLSC membership
- Access to our 24/7 site
- Online language resources like SCOLA
- Special member events
- Social networking
- Working Advantage-lifestyle and entertainment discounts •Informative newsletter
Please visit our website at www.nlscorps.org