Free Press is seeking an organizer who’s fired up about saving the Internet and protecting press freedom. If you believe that people should have a seat at the table when media and technology policies are crafted; that we should hold policymakers accountable; that organized people can be more powerful than corporations; and that diverse coalitions are essential to winning campaigns, then we encourage you to apply.
The organizer will focus on engaging Free Press members, allies and the broader public in our most pressing campaigns, which involve efforts to secure real Net Neutrality protections, block the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger, stop government and corporate surveillance and protect press freedom.
In collaboration with the advocacy and organizing team, the organizer will identify and execute member-engagement opportunities, work on event planning and execution, manage staff deployment to events, anchor in-district organizing, reach out to campuses and youth, and engage with core allies and coalitions. The organizer will also create content for email outreaches and blog posts, develop creative tactics, and continually evaluate our engagement efforts both online and off. The organizer will report to the managing director. This job requires a flexible schedule including occasional evening and weekend work. Occasional domestic travel required.
Work Location: Florence, Mass., or Washington, D.C. While we prefer the organizer to work out of one of these offices, we will consider qualified applicants in other locations, provided applicants can demonstrate their ability to work remotely.
- Organize and manage online and offline field events, field hearings, member briefing calls, in-district meetings between constituents and members of Congress, rallies, visibility events, petition deliveries and other campaign actions.
- Recruit and manage volunteers.
- Engage Free Press members in campaign actions and events.
- Manage our youth and campus engagement efforts.
- Develop creative engagement and organizing tactics.
- Maintain and expand relationships with allied organizations and cultivate relationships with local allies and member champions.
- Manage staff-deployment program.
- Create educational materials to support our campaign and engagement efforts.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues and allies.
- Must be able to address challenges and seize opportunities as they arise.
- Must have a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstance.
- Must have a strong work ethic.
- A great sense of humor and flexibility are musts.
- Understanding of how to leverage social media platforms in campaigns.
- Experience writing email alerts, blog posts and other Web content for campaigns and organizational outreach.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and other graphics-editing software.
- Experience using a CRM like ActionKit.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or two-three years of experience leading successful organizing efforts featuring a combination of online and offline organizing, rapid-response work, volunteer engagement, political advocacy and digital activism.
- Interest in media and technology issues and demonstrated experience working on those or similar issues.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
Free Press is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We value excellence and diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.
How to apply
For more information on the position and to complete our online application: http://www.freepress.net/organizer