The Oregon Center for Public Policy (OCPP) is hiring a Policy Analyst. We seek someone with strong quantitative and analytic skills and the ability to communicate information effectively to diverse audiences to join OCPP’s professional staff.
OCPP is an independent, nonprofit organization that conducts in-depth research and analysis on budget, tax and economic issues. OCPP distributes its analysis to policymakers, organizations and civically engaged Oregonians throughout the state. Our goal is to improve decision making and generate more opportunities for all Oregonians.
The position entails work in the organization’s offices in Silverton. OCPP allows employees living outside the Silverton-Salem area to “telework” on a limited basis.
The Policy Analyst will participate in the organization’s public education efforts and analysis of tax, budget and economic policies. Analyses will span a range of issues such as the adequacy and fairness of federal and state governments’ revenue structures, federal and state budgets and their impact on vulnerable populations, unemployment insurance policies, income supports for the working poor, income and wage trends, hunger and food insecurity and the effectiveness of tax expenditures and economic development incentives.
The Policy Analyst’s responsibilities include:
- Analyzing social and economic data to identify the impact of state and federal budget and tax policies on low- and middle-income Oregonians;
- Researching and writing reports;
- Editing reports authored by other staff;
- Presenting findings to federal, state and local constituency groups, policymakers and the media;
- Giving presentations about OCPP and our work and effectively representing OCPP’s positions and interests in interactions with advocates, legislators and others engaged in public policy; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- An advanced degree in public policy, economics or a related field and demonstrated commitment to economic and social justice.
- Experience in policy analysis and research, including familiarity with state and federal data sources and excellent quantitative and analytic skills.
- Substantive knowledge of policy area(s) addressed by OCPP strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical information clearly to non-policy-oriented audiences both in writing and through public speaking.
- Familiarity with PC-based statistical software (Stata), spreadsheets and word processing systems, including generation of graphs and other charts.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to prioritize tasks.
Professional development opportunities are available through attendance at annual or periodic meetings hosted by organizations with expertise in our fields of analysis.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and available funds. OCPP offers a benefits package that includes retirement contributions and employee and dependent health, dental and vision coverage.
Click below to send a resume, writing sample, cover letter and three references by email.
Receipt of application will be acknowledged by email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would appreciate the email telling us how the applicant found out about the position.
To apply please send an email to: email@example.com