The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Aspen Institute Financial Security Program (FSP) is dedicated to solving the most critical financial challenges facing America’s households and to creating a more inclusive and prosperous economy in which all Americans have the opportunity to save, invest, and own. We work at the intersection of policy and financial markets, using an array of strategic dialogues, briefings, and publications to build consensus among industry leaders, policymakers, and consumer advocates for breakthrough solutions that help hardworking families meet short-term needs and achieve their long-term financial goals. Our own goal is to foster effective public policies and help shape the rapidly evolving financial system to reduce wealth inequality and improve the financial security of all Americans.
Basic Function: Aspen FSP is seeking a Graduate Fellow who has deep interest in public policies and financial products that help American families manage economic shocks, become more financially resilient, and get on track to pursue long term savings and investment goals. The Graduate Fellow will assist with research, event planning and implementation, program administration, and logistical support for FSP’s Policy and Market Solutions Team, which is aimed at framing solutions, identifying policy and product champions, and producing events, content, and activities that drive action-taking around policy and product innovation that improves Americans’ financial security.
Description of Fellowship:
Aspen FSP seeks a talented, versatile, and energetic graduate student or recent graduate to join our inter-disciplinary team. The Graduate Fellow will assist with research, writing, events, and other activities of the Policy and Market Solutions Team, including current projects on income volatility solutions, rainy day savings accounts, and retirement benefits for contingent workers. In addition, the Graduate Fellow will have the opportunity to be an integral part of the day-to-day operations of a leading think tank. Duties will include reviewing academic literature, news, and Congressional and Administrative action on issues of importance to FSP, including household credit and debt, consumer financial protection, financial technology, retirement policy, as well as income volatility and related labor market issues. The Graduate Fellow will assist with the writing and editing of Aspen FSP solution briefs and other publications; help build and steward relationships with partner organizations, researchers, funders, and other thought leaders in this space; and contribute to the planning and execution of Aspen FSP events in DC and elsewhere.
This is a six- to nine-month fellowship beginning in summer 2018. The ideal candidate will be available from June 2018 through at least December 2018; it may be possible to extend the fellowship after that point. Successful applicants will have a strong academic record as well as excellent work planning, research, and writing skills.
Knowledge, Education and Experience Sought:
- Working towards a graduate degree in relevant field such as public policy, economics, finance, business, social work, or law, or a recent graduate of such a program.
- Interest in public policy and consumer finance issues.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Independent self-starter, with strong attention to detail and demonstrated research ability.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous experience in public policy or the financial services industry a plus.
- Previous experience managing conferences or other events a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research public policies, industry practices, and financial product and service innovations relevant to ongoing Aspen FSP projects.
- Assist with drafting and designing Aspen FSP reports, issue briefs, and blogs.
- Assist with planning and implementing Aspen FSP’s events, including Capitol Hill briefings, invite-onlyleadership forums, and panel/roundtable discussions.
- Attend expert briefings/lectures, industry forums, Congressional hearings, and other events.
Visit our career page at https://www.aspeninstitute.