ABOUT THE POSITION
We organise all senior visits to Mexico by British Government Ministers, Parliamentary Committees, former Prime Ministers, members of the Royal Family and senior officials. The Visits Section is part of the Political&Press Section (Foreign Policy and Visits). We also work very closely with the Executive Office, as the Ambassador takes a keen interest in the delivery of visits.
The jobholder will support the Visits Officer in the preparation and delivery of visits, assisting with the drafting of programmes and coordination of the logistical aspects of the visit, including lodging and meeting accommodation, research of traditions and customs, schedule transportation and provide advice on matters of protocol and etiquette.
The smooth running of visits is of high importance to the UK and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, both in maintaining our international reputation for exceptional organisation, and in creating the best possible environment for discussion to secure foreign policy objectives.
Your every day job will offer an insight into the public diplomacy work of Her Majesty’s Government and the opportunity to learn about the UK’s work on a range of issues to include human rights, multilateral affairs, domestic politics, anticorruption and rule of law.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Visit management: Support the Visits Officer during the preparation and delivery of senior visits in liaison with lead diplomat
- Occasionally escort visitors to and from meetings throughout the programme.
- Communicate with Mexican government departments, businesses, and other NGOs, as well as with UK stakeholders to deliver successful visits and activities.
- Research and support for production of briefings about the human rights situation, security issues, domestic politics and foreign policy in Mexico.
- Advise senior visitors on matters of protocol, order of precedence, privileges, immunities, relations with host country authorities, etc.
- Support the team with planning and organisation of official luncheons, dinners and social events hosted by the Ambassador during a high-level visit.
- Perform other administrative duties as requested.
All employees in the Embassy network are expected to contribute towards the corporate activity of the organisation.
- Be familiar with and have an interest in key international policy issues and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to provide information to stakeholders in an understandable format. Good communication and drafting skills in English and Spanish.
- Organisation and time management skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Capacity for flexibility and willingness to work to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience in meeting planning, visits and/or executive assistance.
- Good team skills – being able to liaise with people over requirements and ask for help where stuck, but also able to work independently.
- Experience working in an international office environment (preferably dealing with VIPs)
- Undergraduates and recent graduates who are interested in UK/MX relations
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply, click here.
Apply by February 27, 2020