New America is seeking a program associate for the Open Markets Program (formerly the Markets, Enterprise, and Resiliency Initiative). OMP documents and clarifies the dangers of consolidation across America’s political economy. Its work promotes political, industrial, economic, and environmental resilience, and fosters discussions of ways to reestablish America’s political economy on a more stable and fair foundation.
The position is ideal for someone interested in how markets are designed and how the concentration of power in our political economy affects us as citizens, workers, entrepreneurs, and consumers. This is essentially a journalism job: you will be conducting investigative research and synthesizing it into journalistic articles. You can see examples of our work here.
- Conduct deep research on industry consolidation across sectors
- Produce high-quality journalism and reports documenting market concentration, its effects, and the legal and policy changes enabling it
- Closely track industry developments (mergers, legal fights, abusive practices, etc.)
- Maintain and expand program website
- Support with administrative tasks and organizing events
- Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Interest in and familiarity with political economics, American history, and the intersection of law and markets
- An awareness of concentrated economic power and desire to document its reach and implications
- Strong journalistic writing and editing abilities
- Proven research and analytical skills
- Agility with online research tools and databases
- Curiosity, self-drive, and attention to detail
- Political imagination
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (no more than three pages). Incomplete submissions will NOT be considered. Position will remain open until filled.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates who are people of color, low-income, women, persons with disabilities, over 55 or LGBTQ. Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.