ABOUT THE POSITION
The United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is responsible for providing leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the security programmes and activities of the United Nations System. This internship opportunity is located in the Strategic Planning and Policy Service (SPPS) within UNDSS. The intern would be working with a small communications team within SPPS. The team works on diverse communications initiatives to promote the activities of UNDSS and the work of security at large.
The internship is for a period of six months, although a shorter period of time would also be considered. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
Within the delegated authority, the Public Information and Communication intern will perform the following duties:
• Assist with reporting, drafting and editing of content for print, web and multimedia, events and publications;
• Assist with information and knowledge management
• Proofread documents, reviewing style, grammar and consistency;
• Create communication products (flyers, newsletters, graphics, videos, podcasts, multimedia materials) using Adobe suite;
• Assist with updates to the Office’s website;
• Assist in organizing special events and meetings;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
• Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
• Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
• Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
• Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
• Keeps abreast of available technology
• Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office
• Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks
• Shows willingness to learn new technology
• Offers new and different options to solve problems;
• Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
• Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas;
• Thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply, click here.