A publicly supported, nonpartisan economic think tank, the Milken Institute aims to improve lives by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health. We believe that human capital is the essential ingredient for success, and we’re looking for talented professionals who share our commitment to excellence.
We are looking for a Research Analyst with interest and experience in regional economic development to join our team. The Research Analyst will work collaboratively to conduct applied research. This individual will have a sophisticated understanding of how to find and interpret economic and financial data, and will help to construct and execute econometric models or projections.
Building upon previous Milken Institute work in regional economics and finance, the Research Analyst will contribute to a wide range of projects, such as the economic impact of universities and education on state and metropolitan economies; the payoff of investments in early childhood health; or the impact of cross-border capital flows on economic growth and cost of capital in countries. This position will provide an outstanding opportunity to contribute to influential and groundbreaking reports that will be considered by policymakers and business leaders; excellent writing skills are required.
Based in our Santa Monica headquarters, the Research Analyst will also be directly involved in our major conferences. He or she will have an opportunity to interact with the world’s foremost leaders in health, business, finance and public policy as part of preparing for and supporting panel sessions. Candidates for this position must have the communication and interpersonal skills to deal with these constituents effectively.
• Build, maintain, organize and update data sets
• Participate in the development and execution of econometric models and functions that can be integrated into a wide range of projects
• Write up findings and recommendations that can be shared with stakeholders and disseminated to impact public policy
• Work with the head of research to conduct broader economic and statistical analysis
• Assist senior staff by developing presentations for conferences and forums
• Make presentations and participate in discussions with the media and stakeholders
• A bachelor’s degree in economics with 1-2 years of experience, or master’s degree with limited experience.
• Ability to understand and work with complex economic and financial data. Must be able to maintain, organize and update large data sets.
• Statistical estimation and model-building skills, including econometrics using statistical software such as STATA, SAS, SPSS or EViews.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Must be able to translate complex economic and financial issues for an educated lay audience.
• Experience in developing PowerPoint presentations and managing complex data with Excel spreadsheets.
• Familiarity with publicly available government data sets both on the state and federal level is a strong plus.
• Must be a self-starter who takes initiative.
• Ability to work as part of a team and perform under deadline pressure.
We offer a supportive work environment where ideas and ingenuity matter. Apply today if
you’re ready to grow — and ready to help us make a real impact in the world.
An equal opportunity employer, the Milken Institute provides excellent benefits, including medical/dental, LTD, life insurance, a flex spending program, a retirement savings plan and a company gym.
To apply, please e-mail your resume/C.V. along with a cover letter and writing sample to:
firstname.lastname@example.org . ( IMPORTANT : Please reference JOB CODE: RA in the subject line.)
No phone calls or agencies, please.