ABOUT THE POSITION
CSIS seeks a research intern to support the Strategic Technologies Program. The Strategic Technologies Program conducts research on the social, economic, and security challenges created by emerging technologies to inform effective policy solutions and best practices. The Strategic Technologies Program is a leading voice on technology policy, partnering with the private sector and governments to provide pragmatic, data-driven analysis and recommendations written for a global audience. The Program’s research agenda includes cybersecurity; 5G networks and telecommunications; intelligence, surveillance, and privacy; data governance; artificial intelligence; emerging technology and innovation; and the political effect of the internet.
Due to the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of analytic and programmatic work.
Essential functions include
• Assisting with monitoring developments in the technology policy arena;
• Assisting with ongoing research projects as needed in both the national and international arena;
• Collaborate with and support multiple staff members on different research projects including but not limited to international cybersecurity, facial recognition technology, artificial intelligence, privacy and data governance, 5th generation mobile telecommunications, and U.S.-China technological competition;
• Compiling research and data into literature reviews, summaries, backgrounders, and short publications to support the program’s research portfolio;
• Assisting with development and maintenance of research databases;
• Supporting events and other administrative tasks as necessary.
• Must hold bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field;
• Demonstrated interest technology policy issues;
• Research experience;
• Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely, particularly about technical concepts;
• Strong professional communication and interpersonal skills with colleagues and high-level stakeholders;
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments under deadlines effectively;
• Demonstrated understanding of CSIS purpose and function, as well as a familiarity with the Strategic Technologies Program.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, college transcript, and writing sample of no more than 5 pages at https://careers.csis.org.