ABOUT THE POSITION
Valens Global is looking for an intern who will work with the Analysis team. Tasks performed may include conducting research, helping draft written reports, and working closely with analysts on deliverables for clients. Candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately to the analysis team. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, interns are encouraged to challenge conventional wisdom, critically analyze existing problems, and come up with new solutions to old problems.
Successful candidates will be highly organized, meticulous, and able to work effectively under pressure. If you are team-oriented, adaptive, and interested in working with a tight-knit, dynamic team, we encourage you to apply. A good sense of humor is always appreciated.
- Collaborate in the researching and drafting of polished, well-organized, and thoughtful reports.
- Conduct research consulting a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources and social media data.
- Think creatively and brainstorm new products with the team.
- Pursuing or recently completed a bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Familiarity with topics related to violent non-state actors, the global jihadist movement, white supremacy extremism, and/or transnational criminal organizations. While familiarity of all four is not a requirement, some subject-matter knowledge is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in research.
- Strong critical thinking, analytic, and writing and editing skills.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, organization, and working as part of a team.
- The ideal candidate is self-motivated, collaborative, willing and excited to learn, able to balance multiple priorities, and perceptive.
HOW TO APPLY
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter.
- Resume or CV.
- Three references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Two writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and display the applicant’s ability to convey complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (10-20 pages) to showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-depth, nuanced research. The second sample should be no longer than 20 pages; please feel free to excerpt your second sample from a longer paper. If you do opt to excerpt a longer work, please provide a brief blurb providing adequate context. Both samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations. None of the writing samples should be co-authored or published.
- Unofficial transcript(s).
Prospective candidates will be asked to partake in interviews and complete a writing skills test prior to hiring.
Please send all application materials in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.