ABOUT THE POSITION
The Spanish Language Unit at the New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY) provides Spanish Language interpretation and translation services for the investigation and prosecution of criminal cases. Under close supervision, qualified translator interns will have the opportunity to translate bi-directionally into English and Spanish, and to proofread translations for accuracy. Translation materials may include legal documents, statements, and audio recordings. Interpreter interns will make use of their verbal skills by interpreting during in-house interviews, for which mature and tactful behavior is required. All Interns will also assist with screening and summarizing Spanish audio recordings, in written or oral form, and in producing accurate transcriptions and translations, among other language related tasks.
Internships are available during the Fall (September – December), Spring (February – May) and Summer (June – August). A stipend or school credit is available. Applicants must commit to a complete term.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled as a junior or senior in college or in a graduate program or other language related program.
- Applicants must possess a strong bi-cultural awareness as well as a strong ability to speak, write, and use idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms in both English and Spanish. (Prior knowledge of legal language is not required.)
HOW TO APPLY
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial transcript, including evidence of current enrollment
- Three professional references
- Two sample translations (each source approximately 300 words):
- Sample #1 – an English independent source translated into Spanish
- Sample #2 – a Spanish independent source translated into English
- As part of the interview process, interpretation internship candidates will be expected to interpret in a mock interrogation.
For Summer 2020, apply by April 10.
For more information and to apply, click here.