ABOUT THE POSITION
The European Parliament Liaison Office in Washington DC is pleased to announce the launch of its next round of paid, full-time internships aimed at US graduates. Interns will be accepted in our Washington DC office from January 16th – April 15th, 2020, with an option to extend the internship for a further two months at our headquarters in Brussels.
What do EPLO interns do?
- Work with staffers on specific policy areas or a broader range of transatlantic policy issues;
- Participate in events and meetings with major interlocutors on Capitol Hill, executive agencies, think-tanks and NGOs;
- Analyse legislation and policy discussions relevant to the transatlantic EU-US relationship;
- Prepare working papers, memos and research papers for Members of the European Parliament and staffers at our headquarters;
- Assist the preparation and management of visits to the US by Members of the European Parliament and senior staffers;
- Support our internal and external communications outreach;
- Help maintain and develop our database of contacts.
Up to four interns will be accepted in the office, each assigned to one of the European Parliament’s staffers charged with creating and fostering working relations between parliamentary committees and their Congressional and regulatory counterparts in the US government.
Staffers cover the following policy portfolios:
- Foreign affairs, international trade, development and human rights
- Data, privacy, counter-terrorism, migration
- Financial services, energy, environment
- Cross-policy: European Parliament Research Service
- Cross-policy: Communications
- Cross-policy: Liaison with Congress leadership, embassies
Please check you meet all the criteria before applying. We welcome applications from:
- US citizens and others with the right to work in the US.
- University graduates. Candidates need to have completed studies at least at undergraduate level, and must be able to provide an undergraduate or postgraduate diploma/official transcript at least one month before the beginning of the internship.
- Candidates available for a full-time internship. We regret it is not possible to accommodate part-time arrangements.
- Candidates who have previously gained two consecutive months or more work experience (including internships) at any European Union institution are not eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline to submit an application is October 21stth. We require a CV in Europass format, a personal statement and one letter of recommendation from a university faculty member.
For more information and to apply, click here.