The Mission Continues is a national nonprofit organization founded in 2007, to empower veterans who are adjusting to life at home to find purpose through community impact. We believe that community service can provide a renewed sense of purpose, restore social connections, and create new opportunities for civic impact. The Mission Continues has been recognized by the Draper Richards Foundation as one of the country’s most socially innovative non-profit organizations and based on team member feedback we have been named to the 50 Best NonProfits to Work for in the country by The NonProfit Times for the past four years.
This summer, The Mission Continues is offering an exciting opportunity to five dynamic aspiring young professionals across the country to serve with our team! Interns will be empowered to build upon their current skill set, gain leadership experience and develop a new network through our Summer Internship Program. We are looking for college-level students, or recent graduates, that are passionate about civic leadership and veteran empowerment. Interns will serve on a part-time basis 20 hrs/week and will be eligible for a monthly stipend of $2,000. Have other obligations this summer (i.e. working part-time somewhere else)? Traveling to Europe for two weeks? That’s fine! We’re flexible and can discuss schedules later.
You should know that we have five core values at The Mission Continues and we expect our interns to adhere to each one this summer: Work Hard, Trust, Learn & Grow, Respect and especially, Have Fun! We want you to grow personally and professionally, but at the same time, find great joy through our mission and programs. After you serve with us, our hope is that you continue serving in your community and empower others to follow your lead!
The Southeast Region currently has platoons in eight metropolitan areas (Washington, DC, Baltimore, Hampton Roads, Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus GA and Jacksonville FL) and 12 active operations across the region. The Executive Director manages a team of City Impact Managers and is now seeking an intern to support their efforts. During your internship, you will help strengthen their impact and expand their reach across the region. You will report to the Executive Director and this position will be based out of Atlanta or Washington DC (Atlanta is preferred).
In the past year, the Southeast Regional Team has engaged over 8,000 volunteers, by virtue of our successful platoon operations, mass deployment, and fellowship programs. As we eye 2020, we are embarking on an ambitious plan to double our volunteer reach and launch pilot operations in new cities. This vision will require us to dramatically increase the scope and depth of our funding partnerships, generate mainstream awareness and engagement in new and future markets. In partnership with the Executive Director and City Impact Managers, you will help develop and execute strategies to amplify and scale our current operations.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a passion for working with veterans and communities, as well as an interest in growth strategy or business development, external relations (e.g. marketing, fundraising), project management, and research.
WHAT WILL YOU DO
• Develop a strategy recommendation for expansion into pilot cities, including research of the local veterans services landscape, community demand, funding opportunities, and local need for veteran-led service.
• Research government funding opportunities at the city and state levels.
• Assist in the execution of major campaigns to engage veterans and volunteers across the region, such as our annual 9/11 and Veteran’s Day service events.
• Create and execute communications activities to support City Impact Managers and Platoon Leaders as they share the story of our events and programs, with activities including, but not limited to, tracking volunteer engagement, creating impact reports, and helping shaping local media outreach plans.
• Work with City Impact Managers to maintain data and records in Salesforce related to volunteer engagement, events, and campaigns.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Is on track to receive or has obtained a Bachelor’s degree
• A passionate individual who is excited to position The Mission Continues at the forefront of the national service movement.
• External relations experience, including, but not limited to, marketing, fundraising, communications/PR and graphic design
• Experience with navigating through data to uncover key patterns and actionable takeaways
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent communication
• Self-driven and can learn new systems and processes quickly
• Familiarity with Salesforce or other donor database systems is a plus.