The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant-making organization, seeks a Temporary Event Manager for the World Movement for Democracy, a global network that brings together democrats, including activists, practitioners, scholars, donors, and others engaged in advancing democracy, for which NED serves as the Secretariat (see www.wmd.org). The position is based in Washington, DC.
This will be a temporary full-time employment position (approximately May 2014 – June 2015). Reporting to the Senior Director, World Movement for Democracy, the Event Manager will have lead responsibility for all logistical preparations and arrangements for the World Movement’s Eighth Global Assembly, to take place in West Africa over five days in the mid-April to mid-May, 2015 period (specific host country/city and dates to be determined). The Assembly will bring together 350-400 participants from more than 100 countries for a complex agenda of simultaneous workshops, panel discussions, technology trainings, and other activities.
• Manage all aspects of logistics from NED’s offices in Washington, DC, as well as onsite administration of the Assembly.
• Make several preparatory visits to the host city/country between start date and date of Assembly; travel to Assembly site at least one week in advance of the Assembly to complete final preparations and stay one to two days beyond its conclusion to complete local post-Assembly tasks.
• Successfully liaise with venue staff and logistics vendors in the host country and coordinate with World Movement and NED staff in Washington, as well as with event organization company based in the host city, to ensure that venue and vendors provide services as required in respective contracts.
• Provide direction to local leader of approximately 20 student volunteers during the Assembly.
• Upon returning to Washington after the Assembly, coordinate reconciliation of all contracts and payments, and liaise with NED Finance Department and World Movement senior staff, to ensure that all expenses and reimbursements have been made and recorded accurately, among other tasks.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Fluent written and oral language skills in French required; knowledge of other languages desirable.
• 3-5 years of direct experience in organizing and managing large international conferences (250+ participants), preferably abroad.
• Contract negotiation skills and ability to manage multiple vendors required.
• Ability to multitask and provide project management oversight.
• Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook; database systems; and other computer programs.
• Demonstrated experience creating and managing multiple project budgets.
• Excellent work-management and interpersonal skills and ability to work independently as well as on a team.
• Interest in, and knowledge of, democratic development in Africa and globally desirable.
• Must have authorization to work in the United States and be able to travel to West Africa.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and Event Manager – Job #1430 in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit the World Movement’s website at www.wmd.org and NED’s website at www.ned.org. No phone calls please.