THURSDAY JOBS – FEBRUARY 5, 2009
Event Coordinator / Administrative Assistant
The Jamestown Foundation
Description: The Jamestown Foundation, a non-profit organization in Washington, DC, is seeking an Event Coordinator who is interested in gaining practical experience in event planning and fund-raising. The candidate should expect to work 40 hours per week and will be primarily responsible for organizing Jamestown events.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: publishing event announcements; receiving and organizing event reservations; interacting with the media, creating spreadsheet lists of conference attendees; responding to questions from attendees; arranging travel and accommodations for conference speakers; and processing attendees on the day of an event.
The Event Coordinator will also provide research and administrative assistance to a wide range of additional tasks in the office, including the copy-editing of Jamestown publications, the electronic distribution of Jamestown publications, and other various related office duties. Candidate should have an interest in terrorism, security studies, international relations, or current affairs in Eurasia, China, Africa, and the Middle East.
– Bachelor’s degree required;
– Excellent communication skills;
– Familiarity with Microsoft Excel;
– Previous experience in event planning or administrative desired but not required;
– Ability to copyedit at a high level a plus;
– Native fluency of English required.
The ideal candidate will be a recent college graduate.
To Apply: send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Summary: The Threat Analyst at Delta prepares all-source strategic and operational analysis for presentation to key leadership throughout the organization. The purpose of this information will be used to protect Delta assets throughout the world. Applicants must be able to demonstrate skills of identifying and using all available sources of information in response to requirements. The role includes:
1) Developing International (and potentially domestic) threat assessments and quantifying risks through research, review, evaluation of source documents, and analysis of information gained by Security Operations Field Representatives.
2) Tracking, trending, interpreting, and predicting geopolitical and terrorist organization developments and resulting threats/risks posed to the operation based on probability,
3) Handling, interpreting, and correlating classified information across international regions, boundaries, and terrorist organizations, and
4) producing and presenting reports and threat assessments (includes the creation of a daily ‘morning report’ for senior management that outlines ongoing information considered business relevant).
In addition to developing analytical competencies, identifying information gaps and preparing proposed collection requirements, the position maintains appropriate databases, conforms to security compliance standards and provides usefulness to internal customers, proposing appropriate additions and adjustments (update and publish threat information on Corporate Security web site). Contribute to, or complete the review of draft or finished threat assessments/analyses prepared by others ensuring timeliness, accuracy and comprehension. Travel, evening and weekend work is possible.
Job Qualifications: 4-Year college degree required. Advanced Degree preferred. Fluency in English and must be able to write clearly and concisely. Foreign Language(s) a plus. Candidate must be able to pass thorough background investigation to qualify for potential security clearance. Government or Military Intelligence background is desirable. Candidate must provide examples of extensive knowledge dealing with terrorism, counterterrorism, counterintelligence, counter proliferation, counter narcotics and regional affairs required in order to succeed in this role. Applicant must possess expert knowledge of the history, intent, connections and changing makeup of major terrorist organizations worldwide. In addition, applicant must understand and be able to predict geopolitical developments based on probability. A minimum of five (5) years required as Threat, Risk, or Intelligence Analyst with experience collecting, researching, analyzing, writing and presenting finished/comprehensive products, from multiple sources, to leadership teams. Must have extensive and advanced database knowledge, and experience with developing and making presentations. Must be willing to work nights and weekends as well as travel, globally, with short notice.
To apply: Visit https://delta.greatjob.net/jobs/EntryServlet?job=1JYDA&media=@10.
Full-time Summer Teaching Opportunities
Institute of Reading Development
Various locations, US
The Institute of Reading Development is seeking candidates for summer 2009 teaching positions. We seek applicants with an undergraduate degree or higher from any discipline. We provide a paid training program and comprehensive on-going support.
Summer teaching positions with the Institute offer the opportunity to:
* Earn more than $6000 during the summer. Teachers typically earn between $525 and $700 per week while teaching.
* Gain over 500 hours of teacher-training and teaching experience with a variety of age groups.
* Help students of all ages develop their reading skills and ability to become imaginatively absorbed in books.
The Institute is an educational service provider that teaches developmental reading programs in partnership with the continuing education departments of more than 100 colleges and universities across the United States. Our classes for students of all ages improve their reading skills and teach them to experience absorption in literature.
We hire people who:
· Have strong reading skills and read for pleasure
· Have a bachelor’s degree in any discipline
· Are responsible and hard working
· Have good communication and organization skills
· Will be patient and supportive with students
· Have regular access to a reliable car
We welcome you to submit an on-line application by Sunday, February 22nd and learn more about teaching for the Institute at our website: http://readingprograms.org/teachingjobs.