Do you want to play a key role in making nuclear weapons a thing of the past? Right now, we have an opportunity for the right person to join our cutting-edge movement in the fight against nuclear weapons.
Global Zero is an international, non-partisan movement for the elimination of nuclear weapons. Backed by over 300 eminent world leaders and over half a million members worldwide, our movement combines leading policy development and direct dialogue with governments with public outreach, including media, online and grassroots initiatives to make the elimination of nuclear weapons an urgent global imperative.
Global Zero is hiring two Field Organizers (based in the U.S.) who will be responsible for leading our campaign execution and volunteer mobilization efforts on college campuses and in local communities in key markets across the country, primarily through our new Youth Ambassadors (YA) program. The YA Program will recruit, train, and mobilize 100 volunteer activists in the US and up to 500 activists globally to campaign for the elimination of nuclear weapons. The U.S. based Field Organizers will develop the program in the U.S. and support the wider campaign team. This role will also provide general support of Global Zero’s advocacy and campaigning work across the U.S. The Field Organizers will report to the Deputy Campaign Director. Frequent domestic and occasional international travel will be required.
This exciting, challenging position is the perfect fit for an individual with strong public organizing skills and a passion for building social movements. You have a knack for making global issues feel local and are comfortable building relationships with university faculty, students, and local community leaders. You are results driven and know how to make things happen. Above all else, you are an public organizer at heart, and can inspire people to turn out anywhere, anytime.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit and train Youth Ambassadors and other local volunteer leaders as campaign organizers and advocates at key colleges and target communities across the country;
- Manage both campus and community organizing efforts and the execution Global Zero’s national advocacy campaigns;
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase Global Zero’s membership;
- Play a critical role in the delivery of trainings that will excite, inspire and inform local volunteers, with a goal of developing more savvy volunteer advocates;
- Train, mobilize, and deploy Youth Ambassadors and volunteers nationwide; be prepared to rally people on and off campus to execute rapid response offline tactics at a moment’s notice;
- Manage local lobbying strategy and direct advocacy targeting key decision-makers;
- Build relationships with high profile leaders on campuses and communities in an effort to strengthen Global Zero’s political networks; and
- Manage educational efforts targeting Youth Ambassadors including monthly conference calls, newsletters, email blasts, and trainings.
- Bachelor’s degree required and at least 1 year experience mobilizing and organizing activists, preferably both on and off campus;
- Self-starter and a strategic thinker with a creative edge who is socially conscious, organized, detail-oriented and able to manage complex projects;
- Skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills who will work collaboratively and effectively as a member of an international team;
- Acute political skills and knowledge of how to work on campus and universities;
- Strong organizational skills; able to multitask and prioritize a number of projects;
- Superior writing and oral communication skills;
- Ability to produce under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Ability to travel (up to 50% of time);
- Genuine passion and interest for Global Zero’s issues and priorities; and
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job. This includes occasional early meetings, late nights, frequent travel, lifting boxes of campaign chum, and other duties as assigned.
- Rolling submissions with a preference to those who apply by July 1, 2014;
- Competitive salary and benefits;
- Critical role in a rapidly growing, cutting-edge, international movement with opportunities for advancement;
- Full-time position likely based in Washington D.C. or on the West Coast, with travel and the possibility of occasional trips abroad; and
- Flexible and occasionally intense hours including some evenings and weekends, to accommodate a team across multiple time zones and a rigorous campaign.
Please send your cover letter, CV and a brief writing sample by email , with “U.S. Field Organizer” in the subject line.
To apply send an email to: email@example.com