The International Crisis Group’s Sahel Project is looking for a full-time volunteer intern to support its project director and analysts in their daily activities. Given today’s exceptional sanitary context, this voluntary internship will take place on a remote basis. Requiring a natural flair for politics and foreign affairs, it is an excellent opportunity for someone to learn about conflict analysis and advocacy work but also to gain a valuable experience in a high-profile international NGO.
This voluntary internship would suit a candidate with an excellent level in both French and English and a recent undergraduate or graduate degree in international relations, political science or related fields. The ideal candidate is someone seeking to gain experience in a fast-paced, international NGO working to prevent and resolve deadly conflict in the region.
We are looking for a volunteer intern to start in early January 2021. The volunteer will support primarily the Sahel project but also the West Africa one.
- Monitoring political and security-related developments across West Africa and the Sahel via online sources;
- Writing daily press roundups on countries covered by the projects;
- Assisting in drafting monthly situation reports on countries covered by the projects;
- Assisting in various research assignments, including conflict data analysis;
- Attending virtual events of interest held by International Crisis Group and other organizations specializing in conflict analysis;
- Other administrative tasks as may be required.
- Good writing, research and organisational skills;
- Ability to summarise information;
- Good level in both verbal and written English and French; knowledge of other languages (among others Arabic, Hausa, Tamacheq, Fulfulde, Portuguese) an asset;
- Experience in office management, administration and event organising an asset;
- Previous experience working in/on West Africa or the Sahel an asset.
- Knowledge of data analysis software (R, Python, Excel) and visualisation tools (QGIS, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Tableau) an added value.
If interested, please apply by November 30.
Given the high number of applicants we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be further contacted.