The Rangel Graduate Fellowship is a premier U.S. Department of State program created to attract diverse talent to its Foreign Service. The program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, women, and those with financial need.
The fellowship seeks individuals committed to promoting positive change in the world as U.S. diplomats for the Foreign Service. Selected fellows will receive support for graduate school, internships, and professional development. The fellowship provides a pathway to a uniquely rewarding career as a Foreign Service Officer representing the United States of America. Applicants must be college seniors or graduates, can come from any academic discipline and must be seeking entry into graduate school in fall 2021.
- An orientation to the program and the Foreign Service at Howard University in Washington, D.C. in late spring 2021.
- Two summer internships, one on Capitol Hill in summer 2021 and one overseas at a U.S. embassy or consulate in summer 2022.
- Up to $84,000 over two years toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy, and International Relations at a U.S.-based institution. Expanded graduate school program eligibility includes a range of management related programs.
- Mentoring from a Foreign Service Officer throughout the duration of the fellowship.
- Employment in the State Department Foreign Service for those who successfully complete the program and meet Foreign Service entry requirements, in accordance with applicable law and State Department policy, with each Rangel Fellow committing to a minimum of five years of service.
- U.S. citizenship.
- Seeking admission to graduate school in fall 2021 for a two-year program in an area of relevance to the Foreign Service at a U.S.-based institution.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the time of application.
October 14, 2020
For tips to submit a competitive application: Applications Tips.
Review the FAQs page for details about grad school, the application and more.