The African Peacebuilding Network (APN) and the Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa (Next Gen) is an integrated program funded by Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY) and supports independent research by African scholars and practitioners in the fields of peacebuilding, security, development, and related areas through fellowships, grants, training activities, publications, and public and scholarly engagements. The APN offers fellowships to African academics, policy analysts, and practitioners working on peacebuilding issues, and other forms of targeted support to facilitate scholar-practitioner convenings, scholarly engagements, knowledge production, and networking activities. The Next Gen offers a sequence of fellowships to nurture the intellectual development of early-career faculty in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda. The program supports fellows through different stages of their doctoral studies in developing research opportunities and scholarly writing skills, completing doctoral degrees, networking, and participating in robust research communities.
The intern will contribute to program activities—which include research, networking, and communication with researchers, practitioners, and policymakers largely based in Africa—while gaining valuable research, communications, and administrative experience. This internship will be approximately four days per week for two months. The intern will be paid $20/hour.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences or humanities or current enrollment in a degree program; an interest in international relations, peace studies, or other related fields is ideal
- Experience with communications and publicity efforts, including through social networking services
- Proficiency with web publishing, social media, data platforms and internet resources; familiarity with HTML a plus
- Interest in and knowledge of Africa and/or conflict, peace, security, and development issues
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Self-motivation, adaptability, and ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Proficiency in MS Office; familiarity with database and web management software is desirable
- Work closely with program staff on administrative, communications strategy and publicity efforts
- Manage social networking and email campaigns to promote noteworthy project developments
- Help to expand and organize our network of contacts in academia, the media, and the public at large, and support data compilation activities
- Contribute to research, writing, copyediting, and editing according to standards of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Assist in proposal and report writing and editing
- Assist in the planning of workshops, meetings, and outreach activities
- Other duties and additional responsibilities and projects as directed, depending upon interest and capacity