Position: Beyond Access Latin America and Africa Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Program Officer
Division: Center for Collaborative Technology
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. We enable local individuals and institutions to build key elements of a vibrant society: quality education, independent media, and strong communities. To strengthen these sectors, our program activities also include conflict resolution, technology for development, women and youth.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $70 million and a staff of over 400 professionals worldwide. IREX employs field-tested methods and innovative uses of technologies to develop practical and locally-driven solutions with our partners in more than 100 countries.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks a part-time intern to provide programmatic support for IREX’s Beyond Access initiative, which is focused on demonstrating and advocating for the role of public libraries in powering development worldwide. The initiative is currently focused on replicating and scaling its DevLab (Development Lab) projects, which bring ICT training and equipment to libraries in underserved communities. Beyond Access is currently working on initiatives in Latin America, Asia, Africa and Eurasia.
The Beyond Access intern will be responsible for providing administrative and programmatic support for the projects in Latin America and Africa, including overseeing financial reporting, editing and translating project materials, and communicating with project partners. In addition to supporting the DevLabs, the intern will also be the primary point of contact for Beyond Access’s eleven member libraries in Latin America. The intern will also support communications and social media outreach of Beyond Access as needed.
IREX is seeking an intern available to work a minimum of 25 hours a week, though the schedule is flexible. This is a paid internship.
Summary of Responsibilities: Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Programmatic support for subgrants: Assist in day-to-day management and oversight of DevLab subgrants, including financial monitoring
- Management of members: Collect information from member libraries and respond to their requests
- Translation: Translate documents from Spanish to English or English to Spanish
- Communications support: Assist Communications in promoting Beyond Access
- Travel logistics: Arrange conference event participation, including travel arrangements
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications:
- BA or MA in International Affairs or related degree
- Fluency in Spanish required
- Experience working in international development, preferably with experience managing and overseeing grants, as well as communication activities.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Detail oriented, strong interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work independently and with initiative
Go to http://www.irex.org/careers and click on Current Openings. Then click on the corresponding position and apply through our website. Please supply a resume and a cover letter with your application.
If you are creating a new profile you need to do so and then go back in to apply for a position.