“Interns in the CIA’s Directorate of Operations (DO) support the DO’s mission of collecting human intelligence on critical international developments. The DO is the covert arm of the CIA.
Working in the Washington, DC area, DO student interns perform duties typical of a Collection Management Officer or Staff Operations Officer, teaming with knowledgeable professionals to facilitate the collection and dissemination of foreign intelligence used by US national security, defense, and foreign policy officials and intelligence analysts.
DO student internship positions offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Interns are generally freshmen at the time of application and are students interested in pursuing a DO career upon graduation.
We encourage all applicants to read about the Agency. Please review our Intelligence Profession Reading List.
- US citizenship (dual national US citizens are eligible)
- 3.0 GPA or better at the time of application and maintained throughout the application process and intern program
- Anticipated graduation date of Spring 2020, with at least one semester as a full-time student remaining after completion of the second internship
- Enrolled as a full-time student in a 4-year academic institution with at least one semester completed at the time of application. Please include your college/university information under the Education Section of the on-line application with your anticipated graduation date
- Competitive applicants enrolled in 2-year degree programs that feed into accredited 4-year programs will be considered. Please address your plans to continue studying at a 4-year college/university in your cover letter. If competitive, proof of acceptance into the 4-year program is required prior to entering on duty
- Availability to complete two 90-day summer internships as a DO student intern in the Washington DC area; the first summer internship typically starts May or June 2018 and the second will start May or June 2019
- Impeccable integrity, outstanding interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and commitment to serving the interests of our country
- Demonstrated interest in foreign affairs and national security issues
- Interest in a career with the CIA’s Directorate of Operations following graduation
- Due to processing requirements, the DO will not consider applicants who travel out of the US for more than three consecutive months between January 2017 – May 2018. Extended foreign travel is discouraged between January – May 2019 as well.
- Availability to allow for the successful completion of medical and polygraph examinations, as well as a background investigation by Spring 2018.
- Foreign language skills and/or overseas experience are desirable but not required.
- Foreign language skills and/or overseas experience
Work Schedule: Full Time
Salary: $41,142 (approximately $19.71 per hour)
Location: Washington, D.C.
ALL DO STUDENT INTERNSHIPS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON, DC METROPOLITAN AREA FOR THE SUMMER INTERNSHIP PERIODS.
At the time of application, applicants are required to attach a 1-2 page cover letter, an essay, and a copy of college transcripts showing Fall 2016 grades. The application period for Summers 2018/2019 opens on 15 December 2016. Applications will be accepted until midnight, EDT, 15 March 2017.”