The Center for Nonproliferation Studies is now accepting applications for summer 2017 internships!
“The Summer Undergraduate Internship in Nonproliferation Studies at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) is a paid internship. Interns will be compensated at the same rate as graduate research assistants and will work with CNS staff members on substantive issues for one of the following Nonproliferation Programs:
- East Asia
- Chemical and Biological Weapons
- International Organizations and Nonproliferation
CNS’s research interests also cover open source tools for nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction (WMD) terrorism, export controls, and regional nonproliferation issues including the Middle East and South Asia. In addition to assigned research work, interns may develop their own research projects under the guidance of CNS staff. As part of the training aspect of the internship program, interns attend seminars and lectures held at CNS throughout the summer. Interns may also have an opportunity to present results of their independent research as appropriate at the end of the program. The duration of the internship should be two to three months between early June and late August.
- It is preferred that at the time of acceptance, applicants should at least be in their sophomore year of studies at an undergraduate institution
- Is eligible to work in the United States
- Has a strong interest in nonproliferation issues
- Is knowledgeable of international security topics (desirable)
- Has command of a foreign language (desirable)
- Majors in the physical or biological sciences are also encouraged to apply.
How to apply: Please upload the following documents to MIIS employment opportunities website at: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/14533
Required documents for application:
- Cover letter, including a statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Official or unofficial transcript
- At least two references
- Short writing sample (2-3 pages)
- Recommendation letter requirement: References will automatically be contacted via email when an application is changed to the “further consideration” status by the hiring manager.
The application deadline for Summer 2017 internships is February 15!
To learn more about this opportunity, see the attached pdf.