“The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS iDeas Lab seeks highly motivated and creative candidates for a full-time, six-month design internship in a dynamic and fast-paced environment beginning in March 2017. Interns receive a monthly stipend.
The iDeas Lab enhances CSIS’s policy research and analysis with the latest in cutting-edge web technologies, design, video, and audio. CSIS is the only think-tank that has in-house developers, designers, animators, and producers who create advanced digital products in the international policy space. (You can see some of our latest at https://www.csis.org/programs/dracopoulos-ideas-lab or https://www.github.com/CSIS-iLab).
The successful candidate will work closely with our design team on print, web, and graphics projects which cover the spectrum of CSIS’ issue areas. The design internship is structured to provide young professionals with practical experience and enhance their skills, and adding valuable design content to their professional portfolios. Working closely with our experienced and talented team, interns are involved in the entire design process from concept to final products.
- Work closely with the design team to create modern designs for CSIS content including but not limited to: print publications, data visualizations, branded templates, brochures, logos, email banners, and event materials.
- Research and compile assets for design projects;
- Assist iDeas Lab design team as needed;
- Shoot and edit still photographs for high level events and on a requested basis for programs.
- Experience with InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop;
- B.A./B.S in relevant field (or rising senior) or relevant work experience ;
- Zest for challenging assignments that demand creativity and strong sense of design, color, and typography;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and strong interpersonal skills;
- Eligible to work in the United States
Interns might also have:
- A design portfolio including graphic, print and web design elements;
- Academic, internship, and/or professional experience in a design role;
- Experience using web languages such as HTML and CSS.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resumé, two references, college transcripts, and samples of past design and photography work. Finalists may also be asked to complete a trial exercise. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The application deadline is March 12, 2017.
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, and college transcript at https:csiscareers.silkroad.com.”