Year-Round Intern Position 2023-2024 – Education and Outreach
Up to 3 Semesters – Fall / Spring / Summer
Who We Are:
The Atlanta Community Food Bank is working to end hunger in our community with the food, people and big ideas needed so that no one worries about where their next meal is coming from. Since 1979, we’ve been providing food for a growing network of nonprofit partners – including food pantries, community kitchens, childcare centers, night shelters and senior centers. We currently serve more than 700 partners in 29 counties across metro Atlanta and north Georgia.
Where You’ll Work:
Education and Outreach (E/O) Intern will work with the Education and Outreach (E/O) team within the Development Department on the Marketing and Communications team.
About the Role:
The E/O Intern will expand the Food Bank’s capacity to provide educational programming and further our strategic initiatives to raise awareness and a sense of urgency about hunger and food insecurity in our region. Intern will provide administrative, research and program support to the Food Bank’s Education and Outreach team. This internship will interface with our education constituents, youth program participants, volunteers, and more. Intern may also work with other strategic initiatives including our policy priorities. They will have the opportunity to learn about other Food Bank programs, participate in mobile distributions and other Food Bank and Food Bank partner network related service projects.
Opportunities to Learn: / Skills You’ll Acquire:
In order to gain a full understanding of the Food Bank and our scope of work, interns will:
• Support education and outreach to the community
• Help update and develop educational materials and tools
• Assist with research and program development
• Provide logistical and facilitation support during workshops
• Assist with the creation of photo documentation and storytelling
• Help with data collection and final reporting
• Help give tours and information to external constituents and volunteers
A major focus for this internship is on year- round Youth Program development and summer Youth Program planning, preparations, and support.
Skills Your Resume Should Demonstrate:
- Interest in hunger and poverty issues, community education and building stronger, food secure communities.
- A High School Diploma and over 18 years of age.
- Experience working with kids and teens
- Strong written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work independently, with or without supervision
- Ability to collaborate and work well with a diverse groups of people
- Personal transportation is necessary
Even Better If You Have:
- Been a volunteer supporting programs to support youth, marginalized groups, or the like
- Bilingual (Spanish)
And You’ll Love this Position if:
- You are by nature a quick learner, detail oriented and have super organizational skills;
- You have an interest in careers that involve education, engaging the community, working with youth, or program development.
- You have an interest in government policy and advocacy efforts that help address hunger and food insecurity.
- You enjoy coming up with creative ideas and seeing the results
of your plans while working in a fun team environment.
There may be some Physical Demands and Travel:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Intern routinely is required to lift 25 lbs.
- Expected travel time for this position is up to 10% per year
We are committed to providing employees with an environment of mutual respect in which the values of Diversity, Safety, Continuous Improvement, and Hard work are supported and encouraged. We work diligently to engender fairness, responsibility, trustworthiness, and teamwork to advance our mission: To fight hunger by engaging, educating, and empowering our community.