Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Position Location: Virtual
Desired Start and End Date: Flexible summer internship position, from May – Aug 2022
(May 2022 start date preferred)
Level of Effort: Up to 40 days (320 hours)
The International Development Division Youth Team seeks candidates for a summer internship to conduct formative market desk research on the green and blue economies in low- and middle-income countries.
This research will inform EDC’s youth and workforce development programs, which have operated in 49 countries and have developed the skills and employment opportunities of 4 million young people over the past decade. The Market Researcher intern will conduct research about growing green economic sectors globally and in select low- and middle-income countries, as well as other climate-change-related research questions.
By the end of this internship, the Market Researcher will have met the following learning objectives:
- Identify the growing blue and green economic trends that are relevant to youth education and skills development policies and practices in low- and middle-income countries;
- Apply secondary research principles and practices to international development programming;
- Refine communications and public presentation skills within a work environment.
The Market Researcher Intern (intern) will lead the collection of all secondary data necessary to answer a set of research questions generated by EDC. The intern will report to EDC’s Senior Technical Advisor, who is leading the overall research effort. The intern will:
- Be responsible for the search, curation, and organization of all quantitative and qualitative data necessary for answering the research questions, following the research plan and desk review protocols provided by the Senior Technical Advisor;
- Prepare Analysis Sheets that summarize the findings from each research question;
- Take part in regular virtual meetings with EDC staff and the other researcher(s) to update the team on progress to date;
- Keep a record of all references and citations, using a reference management software or other recording method of choice;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of a slide deck presentation that will communicate findings.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Enrollment in a graduate program with coursework relevant to this internship;
- Excellent research, analysis, and data synthesis skills;
- Demonstrated research experience related to climate change, the green workforce, and the environment in international settings;
- Familiarity with labor market assessments and market research methods and sources, particularly those in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC);
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated and to work independently;
- English writing skills are a plus.