“RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development.
Combining scientific rigor and technical proficiency, we deliver reliable data, thorough analysis, innovative methods, novel technologies, and sustainable programs that help clients inform public policy and ground practice in evidence. We scale our approach to fit the demands of each project, delivering the power of a global leader and the passion of a local partner.
RTI International has an Event Planning, Outreach, and Communications Internship opening for the upcoming calendar year (January through December 2017) within the University Collaboration Office. This internship will provide the successful prospect a mentored learning experience, and the opportunity to expand his/her classroom knowledge and skills within a professional setting.
The UCO seeks an Event Planning, Outreach, and Communications Intern to assist with outreach programs at the university level, including but not limited to our local universities, Duke, NC A&T, NC State, and UNC-Chapel Hill, as well as with the UCO’s communication and marketing efforts.
- Planning, coordinating, organizing, and facilitating UCO sponsored events, including but not limited to university outreach presentations, Intern Professional Development Workshop Series, RTI University Scholars Seminar Series, Annual RTI Internship Showcase, and the University Collaboration Committee Annual Retreat.
- Representing the UCO at internal and external events.
- Tracking, ordering, and assembling collateral and promotional materials for various events and audiences.
- Creating slide deck presentations and announcements, and preparing UCO communications for internal and external use; updating the UCO’s contact management directory.
- Developing newsletter and social media content.
- Engaging current and former interns and scholars via our LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook, as well as updating social media content.
- Assisting with data cleansing, analysis, and metrics tracking.
- Collaborating with RTI colleagues across the institute on various UCO deliverables and initiatives.
- Conducting research and actively seeking to understand university collaborations best practices and trends to find new and better ideas that could result in having greater impact.
- Continuously looking to improve processes, increase efficiencies, and reduce errors for assigned projects.
- Assisting with the UCO’s administrative operations, as needed.
- Recent degree recipient (within the past calendar year), or currently enrolled advanced undergraduate or graduate student, who studied or is studying one of the following fields: Anthropology, Business Administration, Communications, History, International Relations, Political Science, Public Administration, Public Relations, Other related field.
- Interest in higher education and corporate administration.
- Demonstrated experience in planning university, corporate, and/or outreach events to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience developing marketing and communication content, as well as using social media (i.e. LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook) to increase visibility and awareness of events and/or initiatives.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to interact with, influence, and act on multiple internal and external organizational levels; possess a strong collaborative mindset and global perspective.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Experience using Salesforce and Constant Contact, preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to research, organize, and document.
- Ability to follow through and meet deadlines effectively.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and engender trust.
- Demonstrate a proactive attitude and flexible approach that combines energy, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn.
This paid internship, located at our Research Triangle Park, NC office, will begin in mid-January 2017 through mid-December 2017. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 15-20 hours during the academic year and 40 hours during the summer. Hours are flexible during business hours (9.00am-6.00pm, Monday through Friday).
Kindly apply online by submitting your cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample (maximum five pages) in a PDF document.”
For more information about RTI, click here.
To learn more about the internship or to apply, click here.