Start date: Spring 2023
Hours: Up to 20 hours per week
Location: Washington, DC
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world-leading research organisation that provides independent, objective information on military, geopolitical and geo-economic developments that could lead to conflict.
IISS–Americas is seeking two student interns to work up to 20 hours per week to support the activities of its office in Washington DC, for Spring 2023. The exact start and end dates are flexible with a preference for those available from early January through mid-May.
Successful applicants can expect to gain direct exposure to the work and management of a leading international think tank. We are looking for interns with an interest in international relations, national security studies, non-profit management, external relations and business development.
Duties will include:
- Providing database management.
- Assisting with congressional and federal government outreach and external relations, especially regarding IISS membership.
- Supporting IISS–Americas events, including pre- and post-event logistics and on-the-floor assistance.
- Performing daily administrative and operational tasks.
- Carrying out ad-hoc research and data collection.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Be at least a college sophomore in good standing studying security studies, international relations, or a related field. Recent college graduates will also be considered.
- Be proactive and a self-starter able to work in a small team environment.
- Be able to work independently.
- Be eligible to work in the US. IISS–Americas regrets that it cannot assist with procuring visas or entry permits. Please include your work eligibility in your application.
This is a paid internship at $16.10/hr for up to 20 hours per week. Applicants must reside in the DC metro area at the time of the internship.
Candidates should submit a cover letter stating their suitability for the post and a CV/resume at https://www.iiss.org/careers/jobs/2022/11/iiss-americas-external-relations-internship. The deadline for receipt of applications is 16 November 2022.
Due to the volume of expected applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.