Mission and History of Root Capital
Root Capital is a nonprofit social investment fund whose mission is to grow rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa, Latin America, and Asia by lending capital, delivering financial training and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often thousands, of farmers.
Since our launch in 1999, we have provided more than $1 billion in credit to over 650 small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital envisions a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
The Impact Evaluation Fellow will work closely with the Senior Impact and Partnerships Manager and Senior Director of Strategy and Impact to support the design, implementation, and management of Root Capital’s impact evaluation studies that will be taking place in Latin America, Africa and/or Indonesia during summer 2018. Our mixed-methods impact evaluations aim to measure Root Capital’s impact on our clients—agricultural businesses—and the impact of these businesses on smallholder farmers, their communities, and local ecosystems. The Impact Evaluation Fellow will help implement and oversee several studies conducted in different locations (Latin America, Africa, and/or Indonesia) and across multiple agricultural value chains. S/he will contribute to research design, assist with developing and/or programming survey instruments, training and/or supervising enumerators, overseeing data collection, analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, and preparing preliminary write-ups of study results. The Impact Evaluation Fellow may also contribute to other impact monitoring and measurement activities, as needed.
- Contribute to final design and/or refinement of existing study methodology, providing input from the literature (i.e. conducting literature reviews) and best practices
- Support the development of survey instruments, program survey instruments in SurveyCTO and/or review the programing of survey instruments, and test the electronic instruments
- Recruit, train and oversee staff based in Root Capital’s regional offices and/or enumerators in data collection, including the application of quality control protocols
- Aggregate, clean, and analyze quantitative and qualitative data
- Draft write-ups of study findings
- Identify study-related issues that arise and work closely with team members to solve them
- Work closely with Root Capital staff in our Cambridge and regional offices, depending on the location of the studies
- Other impact monitoring and/or measurement activities, as needed
- The opportunity for minimal international travel may arise
More info and apply: https://rootcapital.org/careers/impact-evaluation-fellow/