“The Initiative for Global Development (IGD) is a nonprofit organization that drives poverty reduction by catalyzing business growth and investment in the developing world. We bring together an influential network of senior executives from sector-leading companies with the interest and capacity to make strategic investments in high-need, high-potential areas of Africa. Members of our Frontier Leaders network shape global connections and frontier market insights, and promote business-driven development to create economic growth and opportunity.
IGD is looking for a motivated Development Assistant that will help to maintain and expand IGD’s network of innovative companies and partners committed to business-driven development in Africa. Responsibilities will include researching and creating background reports on potential members and partners, assisting with the administrative planning and logistics for IGD’s upcoming Frontier 100 Forum in Durban, South Africa, and maintaining and adding to trackers in both Excel and Salesforce. The Assistant will also work directly with the CEO to provide one-on-one administrative support. Through the position, the Development Assistant will gain exposure to many influential decision makers, have the opportunity to attend pertinent events, and become a truly integral member of the IGD team.
- Providing research and input data into online trackers, helping to expand IGD’s database and knowledge of its membership companies.
- Enabling IGD’s staff to be more productive by providing a wide range of administrative support functions on additional IGD initiatives and programs, including the Frontier 100 Forum, Africa Investment Rising Campaign, and Resource Mobilization efforts.
- Providing administrative support to the CEO on a broad range of tasks including:
- Compiling documents, research, and memos for meetings
- Managing an extremely active calendar of appointments
- Take a leading role to ensure all staff members are prepared and available for key meetings and aware of important logistical details including time, date, location, agenda, and key outcomes.
- Arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas
- Completing expense reports
- Strong interest in international affairs and/or international economics with a particular focus on Africa
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to understand and effectively convey messages about IGD’s work to a business audience
- Demonstrated time management skills to meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks
- Attention to detail and professional demeanor
- Excellent team player and preference for collaborative work
- Creative and strategic problem-solver, comfortable with out-of-the-box thinking; Ability to solve unstructured problems with little oversight
- Enthusiastic and willing to go above and beyond
- Strong research skills (typically informal and web-based)
- Willingness to assist IGD’s staff in daily tasks to accomplish projects and manage events
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred; preferably in business, finance, international relations, economics or a related field
- Prior experience working, studying, or volunteering in an emerging economy is an asset
- Knowledge and/or experience on the African continent is a great advantage
- Knowledge of Salesforce is a strong plus
- Strong skillset in Word, Excel, and Google Docs
- Knowledge of French is an asset
- A stipend of $500/month or/and travel reimbursement ($100/month) will be provided based on experience/degree level.
- This is a full-time internship, lasting through May 2017 with potential to extend pending the needs of the organization and the availability of the assistant.
- Position is based in Washington, DC
- IGD is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)”
Apply now at http://www.idealist.org/view/internship/sD3mP85438Np!