“Halifax International Security Forum is seeking an intern to work in its Washington, DC office. Halifax International Security Forum is a forum and a network for thoughtful and engaged decision-makers from governments, militaries, business, academia, and the media to work together to meet emerging threats in a changing world. Each year, Halifax International Security Forum hosts over 300 participants from 70 different countries for a three-day gathering in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Halifax International Security Forum is a non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, DC.
The internship will provide exposure to a variety of international security issues and the opportunity to gain firsthand experience in the daily operation of an international security and foreign policy non-profit organization. The intern will assist in preparations for the organization’s signature annual conference, contribute to the organization’s communications efforts and help facilitate smooth daily office operations. This internship will begin in June 2017 and continue through January 2018, with the possibility to accompany staff to the annual Forum. Applicants should be available for a full-time schedule Monday-Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm.
Responsibilities will include:
- Research potential conference participants and speakers;
- Send and track invitations to the annual conference;
- Update and maintain internal database;
- Assist in social media management including Twitter and Facebook;
- Assist in website maintenance;
- Assist in the drafting of language for email campaigns, written correspondence and other communications;
- Follow current events relevant to the international security agenda;
- Provide research support; and
- Support other team members in their various functions.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field;
- Demonstrated coursework and/or internships in the field of international relations/security;
- Must be able to demonstrate writing abilities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions;
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and across different cultures;
- Previous experience with website management – ideally WordPress;
- Previous experience in social media management;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; and
- Familiarity with Apple products a plus.
Start Date: June 1, 2017
End Date: January 26, 2018
Hours per week: 40
Compensation: $1840 stipend per month
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume and a 1-2 page writing sample by email to email@example.com. Enter “International Relations Internship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please.”
For more details on this internship, please visit https://www.idealist.org/en/nonprofit-internship/8a9a51486c4f4f199a785abe5877a56b-international-relations-internship-halifax-international-security-forum-washington.